Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon, The wifes Malibu will Hesitate while getting up to speed on the freeway and sometimes running 70 to 75 on the freeway it will seem to stutter and almost seem to jerk back a little bit there is no check engine light but yet it feels gutless like it's in a limp mode sometimes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ready to send the car to the crusher.

·
Administrator
17,112 Posts
From the title it's a 2012, 2.4L. No CEL.

How many miles are on it?
How often is the oil changed, and what oil is used?
When was the trans last serviced?
What brand and octane of fuel is used?
How long has this stuttering and jerking been happening?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's got 160k miles, mid grade, had a flush and everything a few months ago to see if itll help but didnt was also told to possibly get a update and thatll help?

·
Super Moderator
4,569 Posts
A 2012 Malibu shouldn't need to be reflashed to fix transmission behavior, there are no newer software updates. To me, this doesn't necessarily sound like a transmission problem in the first place.

There are a lot of maintenance items to confirm on a 160,000 mile engine. To begin with, what does the throttle body look like and has it been cleaned? Has your MAF sensor ever been cleaned (touchless cleaning only)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New throttle body new MAS new fuel pump I've done a lot trying to fix it. Getting ready to send it to the crusher here soon.

·
Super Moderator
4,569 Posts
New throttle body new MAS new fuel pump I've done a lot trying to fix it. Getting ready to send it to the crusher here soon.
Is there any other important information you left out of your original post? It would kinda help to know what you've already done to try to solve the problem so we're not wasting our breath.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there any other important information you left out of your original post? It would kinda help to know what you've already done to try to solve the problem so we're not wasting our breath.
Sorry that's all I've done.

·
Super Moderator
4,569 Posts
What condition is the engine air filter?

How old are the spark plugs and do they need to be changed?

If both of those things can be ruled out, you can try buying a bottle of Techron Injector Cleaner and adding it to the gas tank, then drive the car with a lead foot for that tank of gas to clean the injectors and ports. This is a very inexpensive maintenance procedure that might save you a trip to the shop.

·
Registered
153 Posts
What condition is the engine air filter?

How old are the spark plugs and do they need to be changed?

If both of those things can be ruled out, you can try buying a bottle of Techron Injector Cleaner and adding it to the gas tank, then drive the car with a lead foot for that tank of gas to clean the injectors and ports. This is a very inexpensive maintenance procedure that might save you a trip to the shop.
CP & Spitali, if I can add up to this comment...

Within the past month, I had problems with our 2010 Malibu LTZ 2.4... noticed it was getting 'flat-footed' sometimes, and if I hit the gas from a stop to get out into heavy traffic, the car would hesitate enough to make you sometimes say "oh s**t!". I knew I had to do something - car has 67k on it. Decided to try an additive before I took it into the shop to pay for someone's condo payment.

Over many years, I've tried just about every single injector cleaner (and before, carburetor) additives that you can name, including Techron. Meh. My wallet was lighter, but that was about it. Didn't really notice any difference.

I've read so much about SeaFoam over the years, and thought, what the hell, why not. Picked up a couple of cans (you can buy this stuff anywhere, even Home Depot and Academy Sports). Put a can in the tank with no expectations.

Unbelievable - for once, no snake oil - SeaFoam works! No more hesitation, no more bogging down, and the engine is running well. Almost froggy again out on the street (for a 4 banger) - I can light up the Contis again from a stop. Even the wife noticed the difference (it's her car). Color me shocked.

No, I'm not hustling for them. Just telling you about my experience, and for once, one of these fuel additives delivered the goods. Your mileage may vary.

There's a SeaFoam thread in this forum if you want to read some more about Seafoam.

For what it's worth...

·
Super Moderator
4,569 Posts
I like Seafoam spray, I frequently recommend it to owners of cars with direct injection. It's just a more condensed version of what's in the techron injector cleaner, but the cleaning method is better at hitting any carbon build-up directly. However, seafoam wont clean the injectors, which could be contributing as well.

My preferred method is to run a bottle of techron at the same time as I do a Seafoam treatment. Double hit from two sources. Seafoam can be a daunting task for some people because it requires getting under the hood, so I was starting with just the injector cleaner.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I like Seafoam spray, I frequently recommend it to owners of cars with direct injection. It's just a more condensed version of what's in the techron injector cleaner, but the cleaning method is better at hitting any carbon build-up directly. However, seafoam wont clean the injectors, which could be contributing as well.

My preferred method is to run a bottle of techron at the same time as I do a Seafoam treatment. Double hit from two sources. Seafoam can be a daunting task for some people because it requires getting under the hood, so I was starting with just the injector cleaner.
Agree about the injectors. I'm going to have to have the Chevy's cleaned soon - the SeaFoam just bought some time.

As far as direct injection, that's good to know. Some car engines have had quite a bit of problems with DI causing a lot of carbon buildup, so if SeaFoam keeps the buildup down, good for us!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts