Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2012 Chevy Malibu LTZ (3.6L V6)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have been having some issues with my heating and cooling system the past few months. To give some context, my blower motor first stopped working last July/August and I got it fixed at a Chevrolet dealership. I finally had air blowing, and everything seemed to be working fine. This next issue has been ongoing for the past 3-4 months, with on and off at-home troubleshooting and repairs.

However, as it got colder out and I started to use heat, I noticed that my system was still blowing cold-ish air, around 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit. I thought that maybe my coolant was low, which it wasn't, so I thought that my thermostat went bad, and I replaced that. That didn't help anything, and I checked all of my radiator hoses, they're all getting hot, so the system should be throwing heat into the cabin.

Despite this, it still varies anywhere from 60 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit, but there have also been a few times where if I play with it, or randomly, it will actually get warm, probably around 80 degrees, but definitely not the set 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

I also had a friend of mine (mechanic) take a look and he didn't see anything wrong. We're thinking it might be the climate control module, or possibly one of my climate doors not switching over. I have noticed that when I switch my climate control mode to "Auto", it will always turn on the air conditioning mode, regardless of outside temperature or internal set temperature. I also have noticed that when I do turn air conditioning on and set it to 60 degrees Fahrenheit, it is not getting cold, and is again throwing about 72 degrees.

Summary:
The cabin isn't getting cooled or heated to the set temperature. I think either the climate control module is bad or the blend door is bad/stuck open because the temperatures are 95% of the time, stuck near 70-75 degrees regardless of max A/C (60) or heat (90) on. I have changed the thermostat, and all my coolant lines are hot.

If anyone has any suggestions or similar experiences, any help would be appreciated at this point.

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,010 Posts
By setting it to the max in both directions, 60 and 90, you're already ensuring that ACC (auto climate control) is going to send either full cold or full heat out of the vents.

Since it seems to be trying to do what you've commanded, I would think that the temperature blend door is the culprit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts