Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Malibu drivers seat broke at around 55,000 miles. I asked Dealership to look into when they were fixing my camshaft actuator, they did not. I also told them to not move the seat bc the motor was malfunctioning since the seat broke of course they moved my seat and now I can't move it forward I am very upset to learn that with very little miles my hard earned money is getting flushed thanks to poor work and Chevy is doing nothing about this.

·
Administrator
16,898 Posts
You need to go back to the dealership and take it out on them! Regardless of how the seat came to be in bad repair, if you told them not to move it (and especially if it's in writing), then they're the ones who have now placed you in this situation that could have been prevented.

That's a battle you might not win, but you might, also.

Every company does "poor work", some more than others. The seat issue is known. I sold my perfect seats to a member and picked up others from another member. The seat tube broke right after I got them, so now I'm stuck with a broken seat, but my intent is to take it to a shop and have it welded and strengthened to prevent it from doing it again. Either that or replace it. You have the same options open to you as well, only now you've been forced into making the decision earlier than you had wished.

·
Super Moderator
721 Posts
I actually wonder just how dealerships handle seat issues as it doesn't seem like you can get new units from GM anymore and I don't know if you can get just the frame or not. The motor should be replaceable but as far as a broken seat frame, that's definitely rough. Used seats on eBay aren't cheap either, you would expect to pay about $300-400 for one, with shipping.

Believe it or not, DD, when I got the 'Bu appraised, they noticed the small patch repair on the driver's seat and commented on it. I don't think they really dinged the value for it but it sure took good eyes to notice it.

·
Administrator
16,898 Posts
By "perfect", I meant that they functioned perfectly and had no broken parts. That patch was there when I bought the car at 56,ooo miles. I'm glad it stayed as that means it was a good repair.

This set that I have has, as mentioned, a broken frame on the driver's front right crosstube, the plastic back cover on the driver's seat is loose on the side nearest the center console and constantly flaps around, the passenger's seat adjusting bar came out and needed to be reinstalled and epoxied to stay in, and the rear seat cushion has rust marks on the fabric from the child safety seat loops.

The fabric in all of them seems to be in fantastic shape, so no complaints there. Had I known that swapping from 2011 to 2009 would net me a constant airbag system failure light, I would not have bought them.

I neither regret letting go of the leather seats nor the power recline feature. I prefer cloth for its comfort and a mechanical/manual recline that moves quickly. If I had it to do over again, I'd swap the fabric onto the 2 front seat frames and sell or give away the former ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts