Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced all the the timing chains with GM factory kits. Replaced water pump with a Gates.
(Used a torque wrench too LOL!)
Drove about 1200 miles and last night the temperature started creeping up. Stopped and added a gallon of premix. Water on dipstick this morning, milky about 3 inches above the full mark.
Howwould I know if it's the head gasket or the water pump. I had this happen on a 2009 I had in college, but just left in the parking lot when I graduated.
I've looked thru the forum but nothing specific to a how-to. I figure I'd ask before I tear it down and replace the head gasket.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
You replaced the timing chains. You know there is a small cover over the chain driven water pump sprocket, this is where the water pump shaft enters the engine oil environment. If it was leaking around the shaft which holds the sprocket, it might be visible here. Pressurizing the cooling system may be necessary.

However...before coolant can enter the engine at this location, the coolant would pass through a small chamber with a "coolant weep hole" at the bottom. This would allow the coolant to leak outside of the engine first. This weep hole is very hard to see, on the back side of the engine passenger side. A mirror is required and even then it's almost impossible to see.

My internet guess is the head gasket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes aware of the weep hole as I drained the previous pump before removal. I’ll get it raised and pressure it.
just frustrating to put all name brand new parts and then this. Oh-well, appreciate the forum and it’s knowledge.
I’ll advise as I get it apart and back together in the next couple of weeks. (Real job keeps cutting into my fun projects)

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
The weep hole is not the same as the plug that is removed from the bottom of the pump when draining the system. Both weep hole and plug are close together. The weep hole will leak when the water pump seal is leaking. Very hard to see, but if it's leaking, then coolant should be found below it.

edit: I don't see how this pump can leak coolant into the engine oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed, just hopeful it was something I didn't know.
Couple of new mechanical person:
I've seen several of the YouTube videos where the mechanic sprayed the new head gasket with copper coat (Kopr Kote maybe). Is this advised for these multilayered gaskets?
Is there a proper way to bleed the air from these EcoTec's? I followed your posts about the person having all the trouble with circulation and found the balance shaft chain the oil pan. Just nervous this was something I did when replaced the chains and the water pump.
The forum's help is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
A head gasket should be installed per the recommendations of the gasket manufacturer. Bleeding the cooling system is simply a matter of running it for a few minutes at a time and topping it up. The air will work it's way out to the reservoir.

I have to ask, as this engine seems to have some serious problems. Why did you do the chains? Did this engine over heat? Has this engine received regular maintenance?
If this engine overheated and has not had regular oil changes there could be several more problems coming your way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A head gasket should be installed per the recommendations of the gasket manufacturer. Bleeding the cooling system is simply a matter of running it for a few minutes at a time and topping it up. The air will work it's way out to the reservoir.

I have to ask, as this engine seems to have some serious problems. Why did you do the chains? Did this engine over heat? Has this engine received regular maintenance?
If this engine overheated and has not had regular oil changes there could be several more problems coming your way.
I did the chains as a precaution at 150K Miles. Wife's daily driver with changes at 7500 with full synthetic. Changed the pump because I was already in it. Drove it to our daughters about 250 miles away. No issues but then the creeping up on the way back and near home. Checked today and it has 1131 miles on the replacements.
Hoping just bad luck on my part. I ordered the GM factory kit with the bolts and should be here Tuesday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts