Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week ago my car started stalling out randomly when coming to a stop. No check engine light nothing car starts right back up just fine. Just replaced air intake hose, air filter, & valve gasket cover, & spark plugs. Still stalling only some stops. Please help me I have money to go to a shop, I can only fix it. I know I could try cleaning some senors, but I don't know which ones or where they are....please please help

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheap things to try.
Buy some fuel system cleaner. Use some of it to clean the throttle body, There are youtube videos to assist you. Put the remaining cleaner in the tank.
I just did the fuel treatment this morning. I will have to get some more for that, thank you
What year is your car?
Which engine does it have?
How many miles on the engine?

Wondering if the Variable Valve Timing Solenoids are dying???
2012, 2.4L, 218,000
It doesn't do it all the time either, it make a rough noise before it stalls unless I press the gas then its fine until I come to a stop again

· Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,627 Posts
It could be the MAF sensor or a broken wire inside of the MAF connector clip. Both are pretty common for the 2.4L. You should scan the car and see if any fault codes come back, just in case that gives you an answer.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know if anyone is still following this, but I put the wrong spark plugs in my car I didn't know there are certain ones. I know I know anyways I'm waiting on the right ones. Do you think that could be my issue. I cleaned the maf sensor everything else looks good I had it checked, but I just thought about it and I didn't get the right plugs 😳

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay so put the right plugs in still doing the same. It does run better but engine is still having misfires or stalling I'm not sure anyways I'm kind of at a loss with no funds for a mechanic so any new ideas would be helpful.

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,014 Posts
Has anyone considered having the codes read? Make sure that you get not just the common and free P codes, but also B, C, and U.

· Registered
2010 Malibu LS, 2.4l, 4 speed
10 Posts
Wife's 2010 cobalt threw an OBD2 code for those valves if I remember correctly - I'll "assume" the same for the 4 cylinder Malibu (?) with respect to the solenoids. Replaced both the intake and exhaust valves/solenoids with dealer replacements and year latter still resolved as far as I can determine. Guess the point of my 2 cents here is are their any OBD2 codes indicating any problem(s)?

And also wouldn't misfires cause and ODB2 code stored also?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I have no clue honestly I finally have a little bit of money to go to a shop this weekend so I will see. Also the car is starting to do something different. Now the acceleration is off sometimes it seems it doesn't want to go anywhere and other times the engine revs up by itself so I don't know I'm just hoping it's nothing too expensive.

· Registered
6 Posts
could be throttle body needing to be replaced or senors changed coulkd also be a clogged cat. i have 236k and at about 220 is when mine started to fail. stalling almost no acceleration shutting off randomly

what did the shop say

1 - 18 of 18 Posts