Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Malibu that is having a problem where it intermittently bogs, shakes the dies after start. It is fine if you press the gas to raise the RPMs. But sometimes when you let back off the gas it bogs and dies again. This does not happen all the time but does most of the time on the first star of the day.

I put the car in a chevy dealer to fix it. First time they did an oil change and said they couldn't find anything wrong. Second time they did a tune up and a fuel system service. Still have the same problem.

I then took the car to a different chevy dealer to fix. They said the battery tested bad and that there was a broken wire shortening out. I was like can an electrical issue really cause that problem. Just doesn't sound logical to me. They assured me it could. Picked up the car and of course the same thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I uploaded a video of what the car does to YouTube for better understanding. August 6, 2022

I will be taking it back to the dealership but I have no faith in them so hoping someone here can help.

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
The throttle is electronically controlled. Could be an issue with it depending on what or any or if codes are being set.
Sometimes just cleaning the carbon buildup on the throttle plate is a cure. Carbon buildup can cause throttle plate to stick at idle.
That's a normal thing as time and mileage adds up.

Reactions: WillM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The throttle is electronically controlled. Could be an issue with it depending on what or any or if codes are being set.
Sometimes just cleaning the carbon buildup on the throttle plate is a cure. Carbon buildup can cause throttle plate to stick at idle.
That's a normal thing as time and mileage adds up.
Thank you for your reply. The first dealer did a fuel system service. Would that not be part of that service?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,561 Posts
Thank you for your reply. The first dealer did a fuel system service. Would that not be part of that service?
It might not. The fuel system would usually include just the injectors. TB is air, so they may have done nothing. Check with them, though, since they are the ones who determine what services are included with any package deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Clean the throttle body. Check for videos. I had the same exact problem with my car. Cleaned the throttle body, wala! Also if your Cats are clogged you would exerince something similar but giving it gas would choke it out, so Throttle body.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 Malibu that is having a problem where it intermittently bogs, shakes the dies after start. It is fine if you press the gas to raise the RPMs. But sometimes when you let back off the gas it bogs and dies again. This does not happen all the time but does most of the time on the first star of the day.

I put the car in a chevy dealer to fix it. First time they did an oil change and said they couldn't find anything wrong. Second time they did a tune up and a fuel system service. Still have the same problem.

I then took the car to a different chevy dealer to fix. They said the battery tested bad and that there was a broken wire shortening out. I was like can an electrical issue really cause that problem. Just doesn't sound logical to me. They assured me it could. Picked up the car and of course the same thing.
i have a 2008 Malibu does the same thing -- not all the time -sometimes-- I have replaced the throttle body, tune up and crankshaft sensor , --- still have the problem -- any solutions yet??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts