Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just wondering how difficult it is to replace both rear toe links and adjusters? Both rear adjuster bolts are seized I'm told and I'm looking to do as much work myself as possible.

Currently researching on Youtube, but very much interested in feedback from the experienced members here.

Thank you kindly :)

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Since you're in a salt zone having a ''fire wrench'' may be a must to get the old ones out. I would soak the hell out of them with penetrating oil for a few days to see if they will loosen up before buying any parts as you may very well have to bring it to a shop that can torch the old ones out. Most shops will not tolerate you bringing your own parts that's why I say get them loose before buying any parts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since you're in a salt zone having a ''fire wrench'' may be a must to get the old ones out. I would soak the hell out of them with penetrating oil for a few days to see if they will loosen up before buying any parts as you may very well have to bring it to a shop that can torch the old ones out. Most shops will not tolerate you bringing your own parts that's why I say get them loose before buying any parts.
I'm a welder/fabricator so if they need to be torched off I can do that myself. Aside from them being a possible PITA to remove how difficult is the install and do I require any special tools?

Also if you know of any toe link repair videos I'd appreciate a link.

So far on my "to do" list:

Rear shocks
Front struts(kits)
Steering shaft
Right front cv axle
Both rear toe in links and seized adjuster bolts

Plan is to do front strut kits same time as complete cv axle then another day get rear shocks done then give the toe links a go and if able to do myself once finished take car in for 4 wheel alignment and if they look to be a big PITA I'll just take it to the Chevy dealership, but I'd prefer not to as they quoted me at $1000 to do that job:rolleyes:

Steering shaft can wait as it's not a major issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Everything is bolt in. When I ''refreshed'' my old '09 at 120k miles I used KYB complete strut assy's from Rock Auto. Doing the CV axle also change the hub/bearing assy. as they are a common thing to wear out since you're pulling out the axle. Front sway bar links are a common wear out item so change them also.
Lower rear arms just bolt in, nothing special. If doing the upper rear, you may have to drop the muffler down for access.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everything is bolt in. When I ''refreshed'' my old '09 at 120k miles I used KYB complete strut assy's from Rock Auto. Doing the CV axle also change the hub/bearing assy. as they are a common thing to wear out since you're pulling out the axle. Front sway bar links are a common wear out item so change them also.
Lower rear arms just bolt in, nothing special. If doing the upper rear, you may have to drop the muffler down for access.

Hello,

I'll be using Monroe complete strut assy's and the better quality if they have and rear shocks will be Monroe as well.

Regarding the right cv axle you recommend replacing the right wheel hub also so just curious if I should do the left wheel hub as well?

Also lower rear arms are the toe in link or are these 2 different parts?

I need to find some online diagrams to get a better understanding of what I'll be doing lol.

Thank you for your help :)

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
I have a alldatadiy.com subscription for all the vehicles in my fleet. It's a full shop manual and worth the money if doing your own work. Takes any guess work out.
Online freebies cannot be fully trusted for the correct info and many times they are done / rehearsed before being recorded so it looks easy.

Reactions: wpg2012malibu

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a alldatadiy.com subscription for all the vehicles in my fleet. It's a full shop manual and worth the money if doing your own work. Takes any guess work out.
Online freebies cannot be fully trusted for the correct info and many times they are done / rehearsed before being recorded so it looks easy.
Ahhhhhh very interesting! I will explore this and most likely subscribe.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok got myself a 1 year subscription right off the hop lol. Now time to check it out :)

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Go on rockauto.com and take a look. They have photos of suspension parts in their listings. They have one of the best online listings of parts also. They are my go-to when needing parts. Other stores do not come close.

Reactions: campb292

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,993 Posts
You can also use that alldatadiy subscription you purchased as noted back in post 8. At least in my gen9 it has diagrams of the entire suspension with step by step callouts of every part you touch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts