Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check engine light just came on. Girlfriend's 2012 malibu LT with 2.4L 4 cylinder has some problems. Runs really loud, squeals when idle/shift into first gear, idles high, won't always reverse, struggles uphill. She doesn't have a lot of money, can't afford a new transmission. GM thought it would be smart to seal the transmission so I can't check the fluid without taking the wheel off and I'm not doing that. It just runs rough. It's got about 120k miles, these problems should not be happening. She bought it a year ago.

Looking for causes here. I suspect transmission, but maybe it's an airflow issue too? It vibrates and shakes at idle, and idles high. The reverse issue just came up this week, same with struggling uphill.

Appreciate any help.

· Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,627 Posts
We need the code that is triggering the check engine light, otherwise we're just throwing darts blindfolded.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stalled on her while I was looking at it. Definitely not a transmission issue. Code apparently has to do with airflow into engine. I sprayed out the throttle body last winter and her issues with the rough running got a bit better. Thinking maybe that's the culprit. Taking it to the shop Tuesday night.

· Registered
9 Posts
Replaced the throttle body a while back. Now the it has engine knocking. I'm so done with these junk GM engines. GM is not what it used to be. My 2000 Deville and 2008 silverado run without a hitch at 170k and 100k miles, it can't even make it to 130k. Pretty sure the engine is done. Loud knocking, shaking, vibration. Oil just changed at the beginning of August. Back to the shop tomorrow. I'm not dropping 4 digits on this thing. Might be parting it out at this rate.

CMF EDIT: removed profanity

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Further observations. Took it to the dealer, bs'd with them. He said it wasn't engine knock. Yeah right. Go on the highway, drove right past my gf on the way there, engine sounded like a can of marbles. I noticed driver side front wheel was oscillating slightly. So throw in a wheel bearing too. Just awesome. Service guy went out and gave it some gas, said he thought he'd hear engine knocking but none was there. I told him you have to take it on the highway and you'll hear it.

So observations:

Highway speeds - very clear, LOUD engine knock.
Giving it gas reduces engine knock - air/fuel mixture is wrong, MAP sensor, MAF sensor, O2 sensor. One of these isn't working.
Wheel bearing is probably bad. Service guy said maybe a CV joint.
Motor mounts must be loose. Shifting in gear I visibly see the motor move back and forth in engine bay. Like, a couple of inches. Bad.

You know how dealers are, always lying. So I think he doesn't want to warranty it out for whatever reason. So he's going to try to find something else wrong with it. Whatever, I'll let him run diagnostics then take it to my dad's mechanic. Then I'll find out how much dealer is lying. Engine is probably ruined. Time to start looking for new cars I guess. Don't know yet but even if it isn't ruined yet it's probably on its way.

· Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,577 Posts
Sounds good thanks for the update.

Pretty simple advice. 10 year old car; if you aren't familiar with these types of issues get a trusted mechanic to look it over and do some maintenance/repairs or trade it in for something newer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.