Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know anything about a possible recall for this issue? I was told to try a new battery which I plan on doing. The dealer said I need to have the fuse block under the hood replaced (600$) I was wondering if that would be covered by the Emissions Warranty that is good for up to 150000 miles?? It covers several emission parts but not sure if the Fuse Block is covered. It would be nice if I could find a reliable source who is honest about the coverage. Of course the dealership siad it was not part of the warranty.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,963 Posts
Do you have any reason whatsoever to believe that this is a recall or should be covered under the emissions warranty, or are you just hoping there's a free repair?

It's an 8 year old car at this point. Things go bad, $600 is really not a large expense in the scheme of things.

What fault codes are stored in the car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Do you have any reason whatsoever to believe that this is a recall or should be covered under the emissions warranty, or are you just hoping there's a free repair?

It's an 8 year old car at this point. Things go bad, $600 is really not a large expense in the scheme of things.

What fault codes are stored in the car?
A friend had mentioned a possible recall but could not be specific. I guess I would be happier with a "Free Repair" verses a $600 repair that is not guaranteed to fix the issue according to the service dept. I would assume and hope that I am not alone in this thought process.....? And I agree that the car is old and $600 is just peanuts in the "Scheme of things, but I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR 3 OTHER PEOPLE in my family and was one of the 73,000,000 that lost my job due to the Pandimic, so right now $600 is a load to me and my family.
One of the codes from Onstar, see below
Dear AMANDA STURGEON,
Here are the results of your recent On-Demand Diagnostic request on your 2012 Chevrolet Malibu.
ModuleDiagnostic CodeDiagnostic InformationRecommended Action
VIU - OnStar SystemNoneNo Error Code FoundNone
TCM - Transmission SystemNoneNo Error Code FoundNone
SDM - Airbag SystemB0015An issue has been detected in the Safety Belt System.Service within 1 day
SDM - Airbag SystemB0022An issue has been detected in the Air Bag Deployment System.Service within 1 day
SDM - Airbag SystemB0012An issue has been detected in the Air Bag Deployment System.Service within 1 day
SDM - Airbag SystemB0032An issue has been detected in the Air Bag Deployment System.Service within 1 day
SDM - Airbag SystemB0039An issue has been detected in the Air Bag Deployment System.Service within 1 day
SDM - Airbag SystemB0052An issue has been detected in the Air Bag Deployment System.Service right away
ABS - Braking and Stability SystemNoneNo Error Code FoundNone
ECM - Engine SystemP0455The Emissions System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Evaporative Emissions System which prevents the escape of fuel vapors from the gasoline in your fuel tank and fuel lines. The following may correct an evaporative emission malfunction: - Check that the fuel cap is fully installed. If you determined that the fuel cap was not seated properly, a few driving trips with the cap properly installed should turn the light off. - Ensure that good quality fuel is used. If fuel below vehicle standard, as noted in the owner manual, was used, it may require at least one full tank of the proper fuel to turn the light off. If these conditions do not apply or are not corrected with the recommended actions, please have your vehicle service

CMF edit: removed profanity

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,533 Posts
There are 3 recalls listed for the 2012 Malibu: one for a cable the ties to the seat belt, one for the steering shaft u joint, one for brake lights. Nothing matches this. A special program is unlikely since you have already taken the car to the dealer and they would see this when checking your VIN. They may see a bulletin or have experience with this smorgasbord of codes being the fuse block... I don't know. As for a reliable source about coverage, you can check my.chevrolet.com by registering with your VIN and checking for recalls or click on warranty to view any applicable warranties or programs. The NHTSA website also lists the recalls. As cp said above, the car is 8+ years old and I doubt this will be a freebie. 8 year old cars may need repairs and have no mercy for job losses and global pandemics. Terrible timing.

It is not uncommon to find some B (body) and U (network) series codes when checking with a good scanner. I don't believe the B codes you have are the cause of the engine power is reduced message - I bet that is P0455. Off hand, that one can sometimes be the gas cap but in my experience doesn't come with epr if the cap is the cause. It can be damaged and need replacement - easy enough to obtain an OE cap just to rule that out. Hopefully the gen7 pros can offer you some more help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Camp...I did change the gas cap already. One guy said he changed out the battery and it took care of the problem...? When it does this , I have to pull over and let the car sit for 20 min or so, then it will go for awhile. Last time, I disconnected the battery for 5 min then connected it and was able to drive without waiting 20 min. I am not a good at working on cars as you can see! If I buy the fuse block and install it, does it have to be programmed?
Thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,964 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same symptoms, same "remedy." Experiencing this, mine turned out to be the timing chain. Yours may not be but it's always good to rule out possibilities. I hope you're able to come out ahead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts