Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have a 2012 Malibu and recently it won’t start when cold unless I floor the gas pedal. I changed the spark plugs and cleaned the throttle body and it made no difference. I went out this morning and when i got it started it smelled like gas very badly. Everything I’ve read says the fuel filter is in the tank(is this correct?!) not sure where to go from here besides taking it to a mechanic which I’m trying to avoid. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Jon

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,490 Posts
Holding the pedal to the floor is how to start a modern EFI engine when it's flooded.

You may have at least 1 injector that's leaking, or maybe a failed FPR that's allowing fuel to be sucked in through the vacuum hose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar issue that started with the car occasionally only starting when I pressed the gas pedal, most commonly after refueling.

I replaced the EVAP Purge Solenoid first. It was a cheap and easy fix.

Around the same time I was also having an issue with the car going into "power save" mode, losing all power except a little bit of torque, and when I stopped the car during this it would have a jerking/pulsating sensation almost like it was revving up and down. It turns out it was my throttle body.

It may have been that all along and replacing the EVAP Purge Solenoid was a waste of time? Not sure TBH, but since I replaced the throttle body I have had no issues. I would try replacing the EVAP Purge Solenoid because it is cheap, quick, and easy. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, it is throwing a code for the cam positioning sensor. Could that have anything to do with it? Again, the only time it won’t start is after it sits overnight.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
A couple of injector cleaner treatments would not hurt if a injector is seeping through. Techron or one with PEA (Gumout is one) could not hurt if it's just a dirty injector.
Cheapest and easiest thing to try first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A couple of injector cleaner treatments would not hurt if a injector is seeping through. Techron or one with PEA (Gumout is one) could not hurt if it's just a dirty injector.
Cheapest and easiest thing to try first.
I did put some sea foam in it this afternoon. I’m waiting for the cps’s to be delivered tomorrow and then do a little driving around to see if either of those work

·
Registered
24 Posts
Check out Liqui Moly Jectron Fuel Injection Cleaner and Valve Clean...

some good stuff! I've always ran it through every 5K for a good cleaning of the injectors and fuel system, they have a lot of quality products!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts