Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an issue when I turn my air on in my car, it takes longer to get up to speed. I’m use to checking my transmission oil, but I can’t in this car. Also, I use a lot of oil. I even smell oil burning, but when I had that checked, I was told my oil is not leaking, but just uses a lot of oil. I just need to keep check on my oil. Does that sound right?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,763 Posts
Share a bit more info about your car, please.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Share a bit more info about your car, please.
It’s a 2012, I bought it off a lot for 3500. It drives fine until I turn on the air. I have to put the pedal to the floor. Once I turn the air on it’s like that the rest of the day. And for the oil, I had it checked, and the guy says my oil is not leaking, but I just use the oil because I drive so much. But I smell burning oil. I believe someone said it’s a locked engine, not sure. I just can’t check transmission fluid. No dip stick.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,763 Posts
Sorry, I should have been more specific. Here's what I meant:

It's not a locked engine. If the engine runs, it's not locked. A "locked" engine is short for hydro-locked, which means that somehow, a liquid (coolant, oil, way too much gas, water, etc.) has filled at least one cylinder enough that it can't move anymore. Another meaning could be a "frozen" engine, which speaks more to a mechanical failure, such as the main or rod bearings seizing up, keeping the engine from working. Neither of those is present in yours because it runs.

You could be suffering from a clogged or partially clogged cat (catalytic converter), which would be about the same as covering your face with a thick cloth. You might be able to breathe enough to remain seated, but when you started working harder, you'd run out of air quickly.

Checking the trans fluid level means having to lift the car, keep it level, have the engine running and trans fluid temp at "normal", then remove the plug on the side of the trans to see if any comes out or if it needs topped off. Extremely stupid design for an automatic, but that's what it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts