Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Chevy Malibu LS 2.5L I'm installing a new ECM into. However these gm cars feature an antitheft lock system or passlock system. I have no way of knowing which is in my car, Google yields no results. I've tried the relearn procedure for both but noticed the instructions said the security light will come on and stay on after the new ECM is installed and I go to relearn the key. However the security light does not come on at all, and I'm at a loss. Can anyone possibly give me some advice

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is an update to a previous post where I Installed a new ECM due to water damage inside of the computer, a seal broke and after inspection destroyed part of the board causing various issues such as random appearant sensor failures, car not starting randomly, car dying during driving no matter what speed, reduced engine power, stabilitrack issues, and obd2 communication issues. A new ECM was installed but for some reason would not start the car or even crank it over, no immobilizer light active, key relearns did not help or did not even appear to work at all.

So after some research I've discovered these Chevy Malibu ECMs have a part number, a service number, and a hardware code. The hardware code is identical to the part/service number and may appear to be the correct ECM but is heavily different. It's the middle 8 numbers at the top and needs to be exactly the same as your new ECM. Also there is a 4 letter code at the top right that also needs to be the exact same for example my old ECM was ABMX but my new ECM was ABVT. When ordering a new ECM make sure ALL numbers match and check everything 4 times and have someone with a fresh pair of eyes check, this was my mistake for not doing. Also always do proper research for your brand of ECMs.

Also as a side note for anyone who has a similar problem: This specific car has a VATS immobilizer system and does not need to be reprogrammed to the new ECM. As long as your new ECM is properly VIN programmed by the company your ordering it from or a dealership it should just work because of how a VATS immobilizer system works compared to a PASSKEY/PASSLOCK System. This is also why the hardware code is so important, a different hardware code has a different VATS resistor value then what your BCM knows and what your key has, this can lead to the car not showing a immobilizer symbol on the dashboard because the key is correct according to the BCM but the ECM received a different ignition code/passkey from the BCM then what it knows as the correct ignition code, simply because the hardware code is different, causing a no start condition. As far as I know this is on 2013 Chevy Malibu's but always research what kind of immobilizer system you have and how it works.

I'm posting this here as well as any other sites I posted my question about my issue too. There was such a lack of information when I was going through this it was frustrating so I'm just hoping to help someone out in a similar position.

· Registered
1 Posts
Powerup0,
I truly thank and appreciate you taking time and trouble to make sure your findings were posted. I’ve had been to hell and back with wife’s 13 Malibu. It almost caused a divorce. I couldn’t find anything, anywhere, regarding this issue, kept throwing parts at it, same problems. Replaced ecm without luck and I refused to take to dealer to charge me $1,200 for their product. Found this post, ordered ecm with correct vin code this time and yep! That did it!!!! Omg. Thanks brotha... wish I could buy you a beer

thanks again,
Jabs

CMF Edit: Language removed.

· Registered
6 Posts
Powerup0,
I truly thank and appreciate you taking time and trouble to make sure your findings were posted. I’ve had been to hell and back with wife’s 13 Malibu. It almost caused a divorce. I couldn’t find anything, anywhere, regarding this issue, kept throwing parts at it, same problems. Replaced ecm without luck and I refused to take to dealer to charge me $1,200 for their product. Found this post, ordered ecm with correct vin code this time and yep! That did it!!!! Omg. Thanks brotha... wish I could buy you a beer

thanks again,
Jabs

Trying to install a new ECM in a 2008 Malibu. Bought from O’Reilly Auto Parts and had it programmed by autocomputerspecial.com. I am having the same problem with the key relearn using the Passkey lll(PK3). Also looked at the numbers on ECM and the only ones that match are the Ser.#: 12612397. Any possibility you could share your source of information???

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trying to install a new ECM in a 2008 Malibu. Bought from O’Reilly Auto Parts and had it programmed by autocomputerspecial.com. I am having the same problem with the key relearn using the Passkey lll(PK3). Also looked at the numbers on ECM and the only ones that match are the Ser.#: 12612397. Any possibility you could share your source of information???
I learned this on call with a chevy dealership, if just the serial number matches it won't work. Everything states above needs to matched as it contains a special passcode the bcm wants from the ecm but isn't getting. Everything stated above needs to match, a simply reprogramming of the vin to the ecm doesn't do anything if you have the wrong ecm in the first place. I learned this the long and hard way. I would go to orielys and tell them they bought you the wrong ecm or ask for a refund and order the correct ecm off of flagshipone.com that's where I got mine.

· Registered
1 Posts
I learned this on call with a chevy dealership, if just the serial number matches it won't work. Everything states above needs to matched as it contains a special passcode the bcm wants from the ecm but isn't getting. Everything stated above needs to match, a simply reprogramming of the vin to the ecm doesn't do anything if you have the wrong ecm in the first place. I learned this the long and hard way. I would go to orielys and tell them they bought you the wrong ecm or ask for a refund and order the correct ecm off of flagshipone.com that's where I got mine.
I literally just received mine from Flagship one yesterday it was pre-programmed I stuck it in my car I just passed code cylinder relearn procedure and I did everything at told me to do and exactly how I did it for 4 hours even retrying it and it still wouldn't start my vehicle the only thing that happened was my check engine light was blinking on and off on the dashboard that's it the car won't even start so now I have to call the company and ask him what the hell's going on

· Registered
2 Posts
I literally just received mine from Flagship one yesterday it was pre-programmed I stuck it in my car I just passed code cylinder relearn procedure and I did everything at told me to do and exactly how I did it for 4 hours even retrying it and it still wouldn't start my vehicle the only thing that happened was my check engine light was blinking on and off on the dashboard that's it the car won't even start so now I have to call the company and ask him what the hell's going on
I have a 2013 Chevy Malibu LS 2.5L I'm installing a new ECM into. However these gm cars feature an antitheft lock system or passlock system. I have no way of knowing which is in my car, Google yields no results. I've tried the relearn procedure for both but noticed the instructions said the security light will come on and stay on after the new ECM is installed and I go to relearn the key. However the security light does not come on at all, and I'm at a loss. Can anyone possibly give me some advice
WARNING: I also had problems getting the unit that will not crank my car even after doing all the key relearning etc. After about 6 weeks, horrible customer support, delays, delays, delays and finally getting a second unit from them that still won’t work, I gave up! Thankfully I had paid with PayPal so I filed a dispute and did get a refund. Does anybody know where I can get a unit that works for me reliable company?

· Registered
2 Posts
Powerup0,

thanks again,
Jabs

UPDATE: I forgot to mention that I also got my unit from FlagShip One. I‘ve seen where some have gotten good units from them, so is that a fluke, are they that incompetant the they don’t understand the process listed above, or are they indeed just throwing out the occasional good part to reel others in? 🤷‍♂️

Do you guys know how to request a preprogrammed ECM for the 2013 Malibu with all those numbers? I don’t see any option on any sites other than providing the VIN when ordering and making sure the part number matches.

Thoughts?

Hey if you guys are still having this problem I just made a post on how to possibly fix it

Powerup0,

thanks again,
Jabs

Did you request the other numbers that we’re on your old ECM when you ordered the new ECM? I’m having issues ordering an ECM for anything other than having my VIN encoded. Did you use Flagship?

· Registered
1 Posts
UPDATE: I forgot to mention that I also got my unit from FlagShip One. I‘ve seen where some have gotten good units from them, so is that a fluke, are they that incompetant the they don’t understand the process listed above, or are they indeed just throwing out the occasional good part to reel others in? 🤷‍♂️

Do you guys know how to request a preprogrammed ECM for the 2013 Malibu with all those numbers? I don’t see any option on any sites other than providing the VIN when ordering and making sure the part number matches.

Thoughts?

Hey if you guys are still having this problem I just made a post on how to possibly fix it

Did you request the other numbers that we’re on your old ECM when you ordered the new ECM? I’m having issues ordering an ECM for anything other than having my VIN encoded. Did you use Flagship?
Where did you post your possible fix? Haven't been able to find it. Having the same problem, also ordered from Flagship¹ and of course numbers don't match

· Registered
4 Posts
Rectangle Font Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Bumper
I have joined the flashing check engine light with no crank after replacing the ecm with a fs1 unit. Oddly enough I don't seem to see any 4 letter code on my original ecm just a large printed 1994 in the upper right hand corner of of the label on the new unit it has a 4 letter code ABMY both service numbers match 12651994 and fs1 customer support is of no help after a week of calling and having them tell me to do a key re learn and disconnect the battery for a half hour I'm still pulling my hair out over this one. It also seems like fs1 has the malibu ecm market as I have called all of the companies that come up when you Google the ecm and all of them eventually lead you to fs1.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts