Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and looked around but didn't find any answers.

I have a 2013 Malibu 2LT 2.5L with almost 90k miles. A month ago my check engine light came on and it was throwing a P00B7 "Engine Coolant Flow Low/Performance" code. So I took it to the dealership because a Google search of that code showed that some 2013s have an issue with some sort of coolant connector leaking. They ran a pressure test and it came back OK so they just added coolant and cleared the code.

Fast forward to a couple days ago and the check engine light is back. I was driving down the highway and the computer said "Engine Overheating - Engine Idle". So I started to pull over, but before I could even stop the message went away and the water temp gauge went right back to normal.

In addition, I've been having issues with my heat. It takes forever to heat up and then sometimes randomly goes cold when I'm driving.

I haven't experienced any loss of power or noticed any strange engine noise and/or behavior.

It sounds like a thermostat to me ( could be wrong ), but I'm not sure where that's located or if it's something I can even fix myself or not.

Any thoughts and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome to the site.

I have not changed a thermostat yet on this engine. I tried searching for one at Advance Auto but nothing came up. I found on Autozone's and Napa's website that the recommended thermostat is a 180 degree one. At 90K, could have a water pump that is starting to go bad.

So, here's what I would do until one of these steps fixes the issue:

1. Check coolant level again. If super low - look for and fix leak. A leaking radiator is more likely to show up when its cold outside and the car has been cold, sitting for a while. Radiators tend to leak on the sides where the seals are inbetween the plastic and aluminum parts of the radiator.
2. Replace thermostat. At 90K, it would be cheap insurance to replace this anyway.
3. Flush coolant and replace water pump. Might as well replace radiator hoses while doing all that.

Another option is to take it back to the shop and tell them they didn't fix it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know this post is old, but thought I'd try anyway. My 2013 is doing the same thing. Were you ever able to fix it, or does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most likely Temp Sensor. One in the Thermostat housing, another in the end/side of the radiator. Check youtube for lots of information.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read the previous posts and answers and found them very useful. My problem is that I changed the thermostat and the temperature sensor on the side of the radiator on my 2013 Chevy Malibu LT 2.5L and the temperature gauge is sometimes showing on cold and stays there even after driving the car for 10-15 min or on hot with "engine overheated, idle engine". There are no leaks and the coolant reservoir is at the correct level.
Any ideas of what could cause this?? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
I read the previous posts and answers and found them very useful. My problem is that I changed the thermostat and the temperature sensor on the side of the radiator on my 2013 Chevy Malibu LT 2.5L and the temperature gauge is sometimes showing on cold and stays there even after driving the car for 10-15 min or on hot with "engine overheated, idle engine". There are no leaks and the coolant reservoir is at the correct level.
Any ideas of what could cause this?? Thanks.
Did you use a AC sensor? Big box store electronic parts are known not to be reliable, their lifetime guarantee means a lifetime of replacing said part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most likely Temp Sensor. One in the Thermostat housing, another in the end/side of the radiator. Check youtube for lots of information.
I became tired of chasing codes and replaced all sensors, thermostat and 4 ignition coils. All problems fixed and none since 5 months ago. I sure miss the old non Computer controlled engines, they were fun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am not sure I follow you about the AC sensor. Different sensor than the one on the radiator?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts