Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Problem has been SOLVED. It was a fractured resistor at location R203 on the circuit board that makes up the Instrument Cluster Panel (ICP). This problem seems to be common on 2013 to 2016 Chevy Malibu Limited(s). I found the following link (YouTube video - How to Repair a Chevy Malibu Cluster) when searching on-line and sent the ICP to him to fix.

He did so, sent it back, and I installed back into the car and everything now works. He charges $100.00 + return shipping to fix. My cost was $25.00 to ship to him via UPS and he charged just under $112.00 which included return shipping via USPS. So my total cost was under $137.00 (appears that it would have been less if I used USPS to ship to him), which is a lot better than paying over $800.00 to have the dealership replace with a new one. So, it is well worth your time to watch the video and you can get an email address from it to contact him.

I also used what I learned in another link (YouTube video - 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Remove Instrument Cluster), to learn how to remove the ICP. It is pretty simple to do, but be advised, that in the video, he already has the parts he is removing already partially removed. I learned, while actually removing, that I needed to pry, with a tool made for the removing trim and molding, the lower piece on the right side of the steering wheel. The only other obstacle I encountered was the hump that covers the top of the ICP. I was able to use my hands to pry away from the ICP. All of the molding is inserted with clips that go into slots, so you will have to pull, towards yourself, these pieces to get the clips to release from their slots. The last bit of advice I have, is to disconnect the battery before removing the ICP, this is just a precautionary step.

There are other places that do this kind of repair. But I can attest, to the guy in the first YouTube video, that he can fix this problem and at a reasonable cost. He told me, his turnaround time, after he gets the ICP, is 4 days or less (not including shipping time). I hope this helps others, and I do believe that Chevrolet should perform a recall on this, as it appears they use a different, weaker, type of solder that eventually malfunctions.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,681 Posts
Thanks for sharing your journey and the solution!

·
Registered
1 Posts
In my mother's 2013 Chevy Malibu LS, the Instrument Cluster Panel (ICP) is not working. It is not coming on, can't see how fast she is going, how much gas is in the car, etc. At first, this was an intermittent problem. Sometimes the ICP would not come on when starting the car, sometimes it would - but go out while driving. Sometimes it would reset while driving. Now it just does not come on at all. I searched high and low on-line for the cause and fix. Cannot find a fix, but found many others having this same problem. Could you please help, scared to take it to dealer for reasons of high potential cost. Since I have seen it work, just afraid she will be told it is the ICP itself, even though from time to time it does work. I just don't want her to get caught up in potential fixes, that ultimately doesn't fix the problem, thus causing her to hemorrhage monies that she can't afford. Her son, my brother, a retired Army veteran, Bronze Star recipient, is dismayed by this, of course believing his mother should not have to go through things like this in our commercial society - a society he has risked his life to help protect. Please help.

NOTE: I checked the 5 AMP fuse, even swapped with another, no luck. Last time it was working, I could hear the stepper motors tick as the needles moved up, then back, during ICP start up. Also, noticed - when working, as I open the door to get in, a half-inch thick blue line appears at the bottom where the digital speed displays. Simply, when I open car door to get in, if this blue line appears, everything works after starting car. If it doesn't appear, nothing but engine trouble light (engine icon) shows for a second as the ICP is starting up.
I also have a 2013 malibu LT I have been having this problem for sometime and when I took to the dealer at 30,000 miles , they said it was the battery. I like you noticed it was doing it off and on. On our way to Arizona it did it but with mine it also had the engine go to halof power saying ot was getting too hot. After about 9 trips to the cheve dealership someone told us to call GM which we did and they agreed we had a lemon and was going t buy back our car. But in doing that they really rip you off becasue a car like mine which has cloth and leather seats they don't make and the screen is bigger than it was when I bought the care is more expensive, not to v-even mention all the problems we have had like every other day having t jump start it , car over heating because we cant see the gauges and we became stuck on the freeway, and running out of gas if we didn't calculate how far we have driven. I love the body style of my malibu better than the currents one and if Gm could fix my engine now and redo all the electric I would keep my car. I guess you were lucky that you have just been dealing with this for 9 months we have had years. We have changed battery, fuses. Sometimes when we stop the car the fan stays on for a good 20 minutes and sometimes it never turns on. If anyone has any other suggestions on how to have GM rectify this issue or replace car faster I would appreciate it. Please help

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,681 Posts
@Beemom

A car with that many problems is a nightmare. It's just a car and it can be replaced, maybe even with another that looks like it or very similar. Whether the seating is cloth, leather, or something else, that can be changed easily.

I have to admit that your post is not very clear and that makes it difficult to read for me.

Having to jump start it routinely is not good at all, for both you and the car. For you, it's a stress that you don't need as it makes you question whether you'll be able to use it as it's intended - to get you from point A to point B. For the car, it kills a good battery in no time at all, and I'm sure it puts stresses on other components as well.

If they offered to buy it back, why didn't you work with them and get it taken care of?

You quoted post #1 from May 13, 2020 where @KennyBrown is asking for help with a problem. Please notice post #41 from Nov 4, 2020 where @KennyBrown shared that his issue has been resolved. If you're gonna stop by a forum seeking help, ours or any other, take the time to read a bit and don't just quote the first post you see and then pile on, hoping someone will miraculously solve your issues. No matter what, it's gonna take time, effort, and probably a fair amount of money to fix your car.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts