Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having issues with my coolant tank I think. I fill the coolant and it just disappears last time I drove it there was so much smoke and it over heats in less than 2 miles I opened the hood and everything was covered in coolant but when I added more it left the coolant tank buy didnt seem to go anywhere ive tried looking up issues and get so close ive ordered radiator hoses and am getting a new coolant tank but would appreciate any other advice 2013 Chevy Malibu ltz 2.5

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,852 Posts
The thread title was edited to include the issue you seem to be having. This helps to better direct others.

Have the codes read and pay special attention to any that might suggest an issue with the coolant.

See about getting a dye kit and then checking for leaks. Careful! Not all coolants and dye kits are compatible. Read the dye carefully.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
great advice by DrivenDaily...how many moles on your car?,,,how has it been serviced and checked?...it could be the radiator, the hoses, your water pump, the expansion tank, the thermostat, or combinations of those or more...and remember...don't work on those things with the engine hot (or at least be careful), wait until it's cold so you don't get burned

Good luck with your car,

Bill

·
Registered
179 Posts
You say there was smoke the last time you drove the car as it overheated. That sounds like it was coolant coming out somewhere and being turned into steam hitting hot exhaust parts maybe.

If your reservoir tank will not hold coolant as you put it in, you should be able to see where the coolant is dropping onto the ground or pavement under the car.

IF the tank holds coolant, start the car and let it warm up. As it builds temperature and then pressure, you should be able to see where the coolant is showing up as the pressure pushes it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coolant tank isnt holding anything. When I put it in its escaping somewhere but I dont see where and the last time it was holding anything when I would drive it would smoke and over heat popping the hood coolant was all over everything so I couldn't find the source but my upper radiator hose looked luke it had some damage so I ordered a new one gonna add that and a coolant tank today and I'll update later thanks guys this is really helpful info I really appreciate it

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,852 Posts
Pull the dipstick and see if there's water in the oil.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
how about the cap itself...that can be checked by your repair facility doing a pressure test or perhaps just replace the cap as they are not too expensive and possibly less than you might be charged at your repair facility...

Good luck,

Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much for all ur help turns out I needed a new radiator found the leak

·
Registered
34 Posts
My tank had cracks in it on the bottom of tank, causing it to run down and across. Put paper towel under it and run the engine. After refilling it. Then look for drips on the towels. Also look around the water pump and hoses for cracks or connections.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts