Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello; My wife owns a 2013 Malibu ECO, just love the car. There are a couple odd issues happening with the car I can’t figure out. Everyday when we leave for work, we will go out start the car and let it stall, then start it back up and go on. This same stall will happen after the car has sat for 30 minutes or more. Once it stalls and you restart the car its fine, you don’t have anymore issues. When it starts to stall, if you press on the accelerator pedal, these on response, like its out of gas, regardless of the amount of fuel in the tank, it will stall, but always restarts. You can listen to the engine stumble and like, starve for gas and just stop running. Ok, I don’t know if these issues are related, but upon start up, the engine goes into a horrible valve tap/dieseling phase. This last of about 3 to 5 seconds then the car will regain its composure and run fine. Always keep up on oil, use at least mid-grade fuel. There are 85,000 miles and it’s done this for a while. We have dealt with O2 Sensor codes. When I replace the pre-cat sensors Bank 1 sensor was baked, like it had been so hot the aerated tip just cooked away, I would bet it is like that again.
Any help would be appreciated……
I will try to post videos so you can see what we are dealing with up this weekend.
Have A Good Friday......

·
Administrator
16,881 Posts
Turning on the key should result in the fuel pump running for about 2-5 seconds, usually closer to 2. The fuel filter is in the tank, attached to the fuel pump.

It sounds like there could be a fuel flow problem and/or fuel pressure problem.

There could also be an issue with the fuel pressure regulator where it allows the pressure to bleed off faster than it should.

If your engine has DI (direct injection), then there's a HP fuel pump that may need diagnosed.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
A good scan tool will be able to read O2 sensors and also look at engine temp sensor readings. Sensor reading motor warmer than what it is will make a lean stalling cold start as one possible scenario. Detailed scan is step one as there are many sensors in play.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts