Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a question about the electronic parking brake on a 2013 Malibu, I’ve often wondered if this was only supposed to be used for parking or was it also intended to be used as an emergency brake in the event that the main braking system fails.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,852 Posts
If the main braking system fails, don't worry about whether the parking brake will work in an emergency; just use it. Slowing down, even if only a little, before a turn or a collision, could be the difference between surviving it and/or the level of injuries sustained.

The effort to engage the PB might change with the vehicle moving compared to it being stopped, but the brakes won't be applied if you don't at least try.

This kinda reminds of the Toyota accelerator problems. Folks said that their cars accelerated or would not slow down. I don't recall any PSAs to put the trans in neutral or turning the key off. When you're faced with an emergency, the most ideal time to have thought about "what-if" is before it happens so you stand a better chance of a successful outcome.

So, good question. I hope this helps, and I hope others come along and comment as well.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
I'm not sure it would even actuate with car moving since it's electronic.
All cars sold in the US since 1968 have a ''split'' braking system, that's why you see 2 chambers and lines coming out of the master cylinder. So if one system has a failure the other half will provide some braking power unlike the pre '68 vehicles with the single hydraulic system. I've had a few ''experience's'' loosing brakes in pre '68 vehicles back then.
That's when the parking brake got it's emergency brake street name.

As DD said with the Toyota's acceleration issues and people not being able to stop the car, no vehicle sold in the US has more engine power than the brakes can not overcome and stop it. Unskilled drivers are and still the biggest threat.
Sixties GM cars had breaking motor mount issues. Solid rod throttles and broken mounts cause WFO throttles when the engine lifted off the mount, been there also, and the Gov. issued a recall to retro fit cable ''stays'' on the motors to hold them down so throttles released. After that motor mounts now have built in limiters to hold them some what in place. I've had a few hoods ''bump'' up from the motor pushing them up LOL

·
Registered
2013 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ V6, 1996 Impala SS
12 Posts
I once tried setting the electronic parking brake while moving but I was doing 10-ish miles.
It did stop the car but made some clunking noise as it was setting, so I'm sure the effects would be amplified with more speed or if it would even work as stated above.

It is worth noting that in the event that it works with higher speed, the electronic parking brake has no power regulation as far as I know so it would just either set or release, unlike manual parking brakes where you can ease the braking force to slow the car down safely. Also, with the electronic brake I'm afraid it would lock the wheels so it's more like skidding than stopping but I'm not sure about that as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I once tried setting the electronic parking brake while moving but I was doing 10-ish miles.
It did stop the car but made some clunking noise as it was setting, so I'm sure the effects would be amplified with more speed or if it would even work as stated above.

It is worth noting that in the event that it works with higher speed, the electronic parking brake has no power regulation as far as I know so it would just either set or release, unlike manual parking brakes where you can ease the braking force to slow the car down safely. Also, with the electronic brake I'm afraid it would lock the wheels so it's more like skidding than stopping but I'm not sure about that as well.
That’s what my concern was exactly, wondering if the wheels would lock up and cause skidding. Thanks for responding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts