Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This started a couple weeks ago and the temp gauge fluctuates wildly sometimes going all the way to Hot, but then quickly going back to normal operating temp. I've tried to detect a pattern and I've yet to find one. Today was the first time I got the message about the A/C turning off because it went up to hot. There is no coolant shooting out anywhere so I assume the water pump is fine. The gauge has gone to hot 4 times and it's honestly scaring me. I had a 96 Lumina years ago that went to hot once and RIP that engine. The temps here have been unusually cold which made me think the thermostat is bad, but today its high 70s and it did it again, it started moving around, so I turned the heater on and thats when it shot up to hot. I turned the car off, let it sit, turned it on, turned the heater off and the temp stayed in the normal range until I got back to work and turned it off. My question really is WTF? One more thing is that sometimes when i turn the car off the fans are still running, even when in normal op. temp. I'm sure this has been answered before but I'm new here and any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,678 Posts
Aluminum block + Overheating = Early Death of Engine.

A couple years ago I thought that my 3.6L was having a temper tantrum with the coolant sensor, but even after replacing it, it continued with the same symptoms. I found out that my thermostat had failed in a closed position.

With yours shooting up so quickly and then back down, I'd hazard a guess that it's a sensor.

If you have a scanner, watch the live data for the coolant sensor and see if it spikes or if it's a gradual ramp up to that overheating scenario.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

A couple years ago I thought that my 3.6L was having a temper tantrum with the coolant sensor, but even after replacing it, it continued with the same symptoms. I found out that my thermostat had failed in a closed position.

With yours shooting up so quickly and then back down, I'd hazard a guess that it's a sensor.

If you have a scanner, watch the live data for the coolant sensor and see if it spikes or if it's a gradual ramp up to that overheating scenario.
Oh I unfortunately know all too well about the heat + engine equation. It's why I'm completely panicked right now. I don't have a scanner unfortunately, but how difficult is it to replace the sensors? I know there are two, but I'm wondering if I can do it myself

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I should also mention I did ask my friend who is a mechanic and he recommended the failed thermostat as well. Maybe I'll just change it all.

·
Registered
2007 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 3.5 liter auto transmission
5 Posts
This started a couple weeks ago and the temp gauge fluctuates wildly sometimes going all the way to Hot, but then quickly going back to normal operating temp. I've tried to detect a pattern and I've yet to find one. Today was the first time I got the message about the A/C turning off because it went up to hot. There is no coolant shooting out anywhere so I assume the water pump is fine. The gauge has gone to hot 4 times and it's honestly scaring me. I had a 96 Lumina years ago that went to hot once and RIP that engine. The temps here have been unusually cold which made me think the thermostat is bad, but today its high 70s and it did it again, it started moving around, so I turned the heater on and thats when it shot up to hot. I turned the car off, let it sit, turned it on, turned the heater off and the temp stayed in the normal range until I got back to work and turned it off. My question really is WTF? One more thing is that sometimes when i turn the car off the fans are still running, even when in normal op. temp. I'm sure this has been answered before but I'm new here and any help will be greatly appreciated.
I would start with the cooling sensor. I believe that I have seen previous posts in CMF for the same exact issue.
Search "cooling"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.