Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Chevy 2013 Malibu. My car has been rough idling, stalls when I come to a complete stop. So I decided to do some digging found a thread on here that was the same problem. I replaced the spark plugs, throttle body , clean the air flow sensor, took it to the dealership to Update the computer, replaced the bank 1 02 sensor (worked for a bit) cleaned my throttle body work now but occasionally still stalls when I come to a complete stop. No codes or anything. Next step is to see if the exhaust manifold bolts are tighten then last step is the fuel pump. Just asking if anyone solved the problem to this stalling that has no codes. Also rough idling when it’s in park idling it’s up to 800 RPMs and When I’m in drive at a stop it’s at 600 RPM. My guess is when I stop at a light the RPMs shoot down and stalls. Another guess can it be the camshaft sensor ?)

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,543 Posts
It's not going to be the camshaft sensor without a code indicated as such. Your title says it's a 2.4L, which is a mild hybrid version. Is that correct? That's going to affect how people respond.

Otherwise, you have a 2.5L engine which is mechanically completely different.

Both possible engines are direct injection and could suffer from carbon build up in the ports and valves, which would have to be examined and manually cleaned. That can also cause rough idle and poor operation. Usually it throws a code if it's as bad as you describe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it’s a 2.5L my mistake. Yeah only code come out was a P0420 bank sensor 1 I replaced the 02 sensor and cleaned the catalytic converter and the code erased. Drove good for a 2 weeks and I was in a drive threw it stalled then stalled at a stop light. It just stalls occasionally. I also replaced 2 pcv valves

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,479 Posts
Thread title updated to reflect the improved info above.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
how old and what is the condition of your cars batteries (both the front and the rear batteries)???...hopefully they has been replaced at least once by now...if an older battery, a load test should be performed when checking your battery's health and if changed hopefully with the proper replacements

Good luck with your Malibu

Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not going to be the camshaft sensor without a code indicated as such. Your title says it's a 2.4L, which is a mild hybrid version. Is that correct? That's going to affect how people respond.

Both possible engines are direct injection and could suffer from carbon build up in the ports and valves, which would have to be examined and manually cleaned. That can also cause rough idle and poor operation. Usually it throws a code if it's as bad as you describe.
Yes it’s a 2.5L my mistake. Yeah only code come out was a P0420 bank sensor 1 I replaced the 02 sensor and cleaned the catalytic converter and the code erased. Drove good for a 2 weeks and I was in a drive threw it stalled then stalled at a stop light. It just stalls occasionally. I also replaced 2 pcv valves
Have you tightened the intake manifold bolts yet? That's one of the top causes of stalling in 2.5L models.
not yet ima check it out right now !! Update you guys later

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how old and what is the condition of your cars batteries (both the front and the rear batteries)???...hopefully they has been replaced at least once by now...if an older battery, a load test should be performed when checking your battery's health and if changed hopefully with the proper replacements

Good luck with your Malibu

Bill
No I haven’t changed the battieries. The car only stalls once in a while. I just tighten up the manifold bolts and I been driving it and nothing is happened yet. I will check the battery see if it’s in good condition.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,543 Posts
No I haven’t changed the battieries. The car only stalls once in a while. I just tighten up the manifold bolts and I been driving it and nothing is happened yet. I will check the battery see if it’s in good condition.
How loose did the bolts feel?

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,543 Posts
Your car is 7 years old, it would not hurt too bad to replace the cat even if it turns out that's not the immediate cause.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I also have this issue with my 2013 2.5l. This last weekend I changed the air filter and checked the spark plugs and they had a ton of carbon buildup. I changed them out and it ran a little better but then it started stalling again after a little while. What can I do to slow down or clean up this carbon buildup?

Secondary question, I've heard of the intake bolts loosening before and attempted to tighten mine up. My torque wrench must not have been calibrated well because when I tried to cinch up the bolts that seemed alright in the first place I broke one in the block. I haven't had any further issues since that happened and haven't noticed a leak at that spot, but it does make me nervous. Should I take it in and have that fixed? Is that something I can do myself? These aluminum blocks make me nervous.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,543 Posts
I also have this issue with my 2013 2.5l. This last weekend I changed the air filter and checked the spark plugs and they had a ton of carbon buildup. I changed them out and it ran a little better but then it started stalling again after a little while. What can I do to slow down or clean up this carbon buildup?

Secondary question, I've heard of the intake bolts loosening before and attempted to tighten mine up. My torque wrench must not have been calibrated well because when I tried to cinch up the bolts that seemed alright in the first place I broke one in the block. I haven't had any further issues since that happened and haven't noticed a leak at that spot, but it does make me nervous. Should I take it in and have that fixed? Is that something I can do myself? These aluminum blocks make me nervous.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the intake manifold has to come off to clean out the carbon properly. I'm not sure how hard you must've been pulling on that wrench but it was way more force than it takes to see if those bolts are loose.

You're gonna have to take it to a shop to get that taken care of and then ask for a walnut shell blasting process to clean out the ports and valves. The cleaning can cost as much as $400 on its own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Chevy 2013 Malibu. My car has been rough idling, stalls when I come to a complete stop. So I decided to do some digging found a thread on here that was the same problem. I replaced the spark plugs, throttle body , clean the air flow sensor, took it to the dealership to Update the computer, replaced the bank 1 02 sensor (worked for a bit) cleaned my throttle body work now but occasionally still stalls when I come to a complete stop. No codes or anything. Next step is to see if the exhaust manifold bolts are tighten then last step is the fuel pump. Just asking if anyone solved the problem to this stalling that has no codes. Also rough idling when it’s in park idling it’s up to 800 RPMs and When I’m in drive at a stop it’s at 600 RPM. My guess is when I stop at a light the RPMs shoot down and stalls. Another guess can it be the camshaft sensor ?)
Is it a eco?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the intake manifold has to come off to clean out the carbon properly. I'm not sure how hard you must've been pulling on that wrench but it was way more force than it takes to see if those bolts are loose.

You're gonna have to take it to a shop to get that taken care of and then ask for a walnut shell blasting process to clean out the ports and valves. The cleaning can cost as much as $400 on its own.
No I didn’t pull hard in the ratchet to tighten the bolts

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,910 Posts
Reactions: SilverSport
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.