Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 'Check Engine' light recently came on and I'm experiencing hesitation on accelerating from a stop and rough idliling while stopped in traffic. Read the OBD for codes and saw P0010 and P0010P.

Found a great YouTube video on replacing the Intake Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Solenoid on a 2013 Malibu to clear the P0010 code. In the video, the guy said that a new solenoid should read between 4 and 12 ohms. The one he was replacing was in the megaohm range which he said was 'obviously bad'. Mine reads 14.1 ohms. Before I run out and buy a new one, is that reading far enough out of the normal range that replacing it could solve my P0010 code?

BTW, I was also low on oil (a little below the hashmark range on my dipstick) so I topped that off. Could that in any way have contributed to these codes being thrown?

Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Had the same issue, bad VVT, low on oil, bad ohm reading. And yes, low or dirty oil will impact their performance and as I understand it, low oil scenarios can also cause them to go bad.

Two suggestions regarding these VVT's.
1. ONLY install genuine GM Delco parts here - don't mess with after market or 3rd party.
2. Regardless of which one is coding, replace them both at the same time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure that a reading of 14 ohms indicates that the solenoid has gone bad and needs to be replaced. Found other videos on YouTube that suggest using CRC Mass Airflow Sensor Cleaner to clean the solenoid screens and the portion behind the screens. I'm going to give that a shot first. If I end up replacing the solenoids, I plan on getting ACDelco units and replacing both the intake and exhaust solenoids at the same time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same issue on my 2015 Malibu. My ohms are reading on the low side though at 6.8. Going to get a better multimeter to make sure. Bought the new solenoids but haven't installed them yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts