Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I hate to make a first post as a cry for help but I am struggling.

2013 Malibu ECO 2.4l electric/gas - Dads car

I borrowed his car to run to the gas station, check engine light on sounded like the motor was falling apart. Only Code present was P0016 Camshaft Crankshaft Correlation. Told him to stop driving it.

Day later he drives it to work, comes home. Runs to gas station fills up car, said "Engine Power Reduced" popped on dash. I attributed it to the bad timing chain guides. Never read codes after it was finally parked.

I replace Balance shaft chain,guides, Sprockets, Timing Chain, Timing Chain guides, timing actuators... You get the idea pretty much everything timing related, go to start car, get a few sputters and nothing. Grab code reader, had P0089 Fuel Pressure Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance and P0191 Fuel Rail Pressure Range/Performance. Checked cranking fuel pressure, was around 65-70 which I think is fine for cranking. He swears up and down the car was idling fine when he finally parked it.

I have no clue where to go from here, I'm tired and cold lol. Any input on direction or possible screw ups I could have made when replacing the timing chain (even though I quadruple checked my marks). I also checked for obvious pinched wire's around where I was working and nothing was pinched.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I'd spend the few bucks for a subscription to alldatadiy.com for the car. It will give detailed things for each code and what to check for with voltages, etc. at each sensor. It is a factory level manual.
I do not have access for your year 2.4 to help with suggestions, my '09 subscription doesn't list those codes and my don't want to suggest what my '15 2.5 codes say as different motors. Here's what engine-codes.com says about one of the codes.
P0191 CHEVROLET Possible Causes
  • Low or no fuel
  • Faulty Rail Pressure (FRP) Sensor
  • Faulty Rail Pressure (FRP) harness is open or shorted
  • Faulty Rail Pressure (FRP) circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty Fuel Pump

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd spend the few bucks for a subscription to alldatadiy.com for the car. It will give detailed things for each code and what to check for with voltages, etc. at each sensor. It is a factory level manual.
I do not have access for your year 2.4 to help with suggestions, my '09 subscription doesn't list those codes and my don't want to suggest what my '15 2.5 codes say as different motors. Here's what engine-codes.com says about one of the codes.
P0191 CHEVROLET Possible Causes
  • Low or no fuel
  • Faulty Rail Pressure (FRP) Sensor
  • Faulty Rail Pressure (FRP) harness is open or shorted
  • Faulty Rail Pressure (FRP) circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty Fuel Pump
Yeh I have alldata... getting ready to run to work and grab a dmm.

Also looking at it earlier, my cheap scanner showed fuel rail pressure at 79,999. I have trust issues with this code reader but I know for a fact that is not correct. Even on a common rail diesel max real world fuel pressure you see is around 50-60,000.

Really confused on reading the trouble shooting, basically P0089 and P0191 dont normally go hand and hand from what i've read. But P0016 typically can be set in conjunction with P0089. The more I read the more confused I get.

Should have tried to start the damn car before the timing chain replacement...... Thanks for the reply though.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
I wasn't aware the 2013 LTZ was available with the mild hybrid motor...just the 2.5 or the 2.0T...

good luck with your analysis...

Bill

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,385 Posts
I wasn't aware the 2013 LTZ was available with the mild hybrid motor...just the 2.5 or the 2.0T...
You are right they don't, my bad.
I see @Boger updated the first post with the ECO designation and I also added the trim/engine to the discussion title for clarity. Thanks for the pointing out and clarifying everyone. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see @Boger updated the first post with the ECO designation and I also added the trim/engine to the discussion title for clarity. Thanks for the pointing out and clarifying everyone. Good luck.
Thanks for updating that for me.

So I had a few minutes after work to check a few things.

Ohm'd the high pressure fuel pump (only test I know how to do have to read more on it). 9.5 ohms which is in spec. Forgot my print offs at work so could not remember the other electrical test as far as wiring to the pump.

Check KOEO fuel pressure on our 2014 equinox with the 2.4 and compared it to the Malibu's:

Equinox: 83.8
Malibu: 63-68
Both readings verified by fuel pressure gauge and scan tool

Equinox is not the "eco" so unsure if that effects fuel pressure or if I am over thinking it. Alldata states 50-100psi.

I did try holding to the throttle to the floor while cranking and I swear the car was going to start, can someone confirm if holding the throttle down cuts fuel supply to the motor? I also pulled the plugs afterwards and they were not soaked in fuel so little confused here.

Probably going to check FRP sensor this weekend.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It sounds like your fuel rail pressure sensor is either unplugged, or has a poor connection or broken wire. It will read max high if disconnected.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re check your chain you may be off. Recheck your marks. Making it out of time. So fuel and spark don’t match up in the nick of time. Too fire off. Just a cough.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Key on, engine off, cycle the key a few times fuel pressure should be between 50 -100 psi. (Engine idling fuel pressure will be 43-58 psi.) source Mitchell1diy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It sounds like your fuel rail pressure sensor is either unplugged, or has a poor connection or broken wire. It will read max high if disconnected.
I relieved pressure on the fuel rail, checked the data in my scanner when from 67- 3 so I believe it is teading correctly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had someone check my timing marks when I put the chain on, and after I set the tensioner. Not saying that's fool proof, but i am 99% sure my Mark's are dead on. You have to spin the motor over a insane amount of times to get all the Mark's to line back up to re verify. So I made sure cylinder 1 was at tdc and my diamonds and were in the correct position to recheck.

Also fuel pressure is 60- 70psi, verified by guage and scan tool.

I am going to do a compression test tomorrow just to eliminate that possibility. Might pull the intake and check the frp sensor to eliminate the possibility of that, and also to check wiring and see if can see anything.

·
Registered
32 Posts
At your local library if they are open you should be able to go to the computers and take your library card and sign on and get Mitchell pro the librarian and will help you if you need it. As far as your chain I thought you might be out a few degrees off causing no fire in a cylinder.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know you have, but I will ask any way. Have you checked fuses. I had a time when a mouse fell in love with my injector wiring.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts