Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I’ll try to make this short and sweet. I bought this certified pre owned at a dealership and it came with an extended warranty 3 years 36,000 miles and I’m not even past year 2 yet, nor have I past 24 thousand miles on the warranty yet even. Like a month or so ago, I noticed that for a little while my heater has not been blowing hot air. Looked it up online and it said possible heater core being plugged. Decided to wait until oil change to get it looked at. Couple days later I notice the temperature gage going up really high and that my coolant is low. Got the coolant filled but had it checked for leaks and they couldn’t find any at an oil change place. Still waiting for the oil change to come up, but monitoring the temperature gage and occasionally the heater blows hot air just fine. Take it in finally for an oil change and a diagnosis and for some reason it’s not covered under warranty, and they say it’s the water pump leaking coolant, potentially need thermostat replaced and a coolant flush as well, all in total 900 something dollars. I’m definitely not going to the over priced dealership. After figuring out where the water pump is I can see where it’s leaking, although I don’t ever find coolant on the ground and it just seems to vanish. I have two questions.

1. Why wouldn’t this be covered under the extended warranty? Reading the booklet it says as far as warranty goes that it’s covered from the inlet at the water pump to the outlet at the output (or input?) hose, so does that mean that they want to charge me because it’s literally just the water pump that needs to be replaced, as that is not technically covered under power train warranty? (My extended warranty is the best they offer)

2. this question deals a little with the last part of the first question, and my question is this,do I replace just the water pump?, or would it be a best and safe bet to replace it and the back housing/thermostat connector etc?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,858 Posts
Sorry to hear that the "best" warranty you could get from them doesn't cover the cooling system components.

#2. As a matter of good wrench-turning, I've listened to the counsel of those who do it and replaced all I could find in the cooling system if I was doing any service on it. When my t-stat failed and the engine overheated last April, I replaced the t-stat and housing (it came as a single unit), water pump, all the hoses I could reach (only 2 were not replaced), and all of the coolant. I also included the serp belt and tensioner. While it was apart, I took the overflow bottle off and thoroughly cleaned it inside and out. I didn't replace the cap, but that's easy enough to do at any time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.