Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, would anyone happen to know what the difference in engine from vin L 8th digit to vin A 8th digit?
What would prevent me from putting a vin L block in a vin A car?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,733 Posts
Short version: They aren't the same and the computers would also need to be changed, and most likely the engine harnesses as well.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,879 Posts
What year is the "L" from? I don't see an "L" in 2013. Probably enough differences to make it unpleasant.

A: LCV ENGINE GAS, CYL, 2.5L, L4, SIDI, DOHC, DCVP, VVT,
R: LUK ENGINE GAS, CYL, 2.4L, DI, ALUM, DOHC, BAS, ECOTEC
X: LTG ENGINE GAS, CYL, 2.0L, SIDI, L4, ALUM DOHC, VVT

Attachments

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thank you.
I'm getting L from 2014 malibu. It appears 2013 is the only year with A vin. Also appears that because the 13 malibu engine is the same as the cadillac, the cost is higher. A 2014 engine vin L is cheaper than the 2013 engine.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,733 Posts
Ok, thank you.
I'm getting L from 2014 malibu. It appears 2013 is the only year with A vin. Also appears that because the 13 malibu engine is the same as the cadillac, the cost is higher. A 2014 engine vin L is cheaper than the 2013 engine.
What is the displacement of the 2014 "L" engine? If it's not a 2.5L then you're probably outta luck. What vehicle is the donor engine from? Are you getting from a discarded vehicle or getting it from an engine reman business?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm still searching for an engine, I'd rebuild this one myself but cylinder one decided to take a peek outside. It's the 2.5.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts