Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a used malibu, one thing I noticed was a lot of threads about 2013 model. Is this a bad year since 1st of this body? Should I stay away from this year?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
try a search in the Gen8 section of this Forum...the GF has had her 2013 3LT 2.0T since new and really has had no issues that would cause someone not to buy this model, this year, or this generation of Malibu...good luck

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
I would go with the 2.5 motor myself if you looking to run it to 200k miles.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
It does have all kinds of sensor and electrical issues that are a grand pain to diagnose.
The newer the car the more complex it will be. Wait until we get to driverless....

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,021 Posts
I don't buy 1st model year of anything. I even give the stink eye to 2nd model year cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2013 Malibu LS. Bought it NEW. I have only 28,000 miles on it.
A few years ago the battery was dying repeatedly. With new battery (warrantied) the same. Discovered the glove-box light was on all the time. Glove-box door replaced (warrantied). My only big repair was the AC compressor blew a seal last year. I doubt if an AC compressor is a 1st year issue. I've had no other problems. The 2.5L ENGINE is strong - I recommend. ( The 2013 was out early 2012, with only awful 2.4 gas engine-electric hybrid system - AVOID.)

BEST: 2013 Malibu has NO STOP-START SYSTEM! - I won't buy any vehicle with it.

Looking to buy a used malibu, one thing I noticed was a lot of threads about 2013 model. Is this a bad year since 1st of this body? Should I stay away from this year?
Thanks
dear "Mr Greif" - I prev wrote you that MY 2013 'Malibu LS' has been good? to me.
My opinion = buying a USED CAR is buying someone else's HEADACHE. + All cars now, have the add'l overload of COMPUTERS-ELECTRONICS that fail. I've seen "CARFAX?" reports for my current & previous car. "Carfax" had only half of maintenances and omitted an accident(-prev car).
IDK much ADVICE on USED cars. You're smart, researching on car-owner-forums.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My Father in Law has a 2013 LT with the 2.5 with close to 100k miles on it. Maintenance included battery replacement, oil changes every 7,500-10,000 miles, and one transmissionn ATF drain/fill at 65k miles. The only issue he's had is a leaking o-ring in the coolant system and a leak/blockage letting water into the trunk.

We have a 2015 LS 2.5 with 68k miles, oil changes every 5,000-7,500 miles, transmission ATF drain/fill every 30k miles, coolant flush every 4 years. Our only issue was the stop/start system acting up. We didn't try to diagnose the problem, we replaced both batteries and the issue went away.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 2013 Malibu. It had some problems. The only big one was the radio and something else lost com. With the computer. The driver seat was going back to far pulling on the wires causing it. Last was a rear wheel bearing had to be replace. Mileage is 72,000 miles 2.5 engine. The 2.4 I believe has the start stop in it. Costly battery and more to go wrong. 2 liter check on that engine it may have a interference engine in it. Plus broken turbos parts cost more too. But it has pickup. And someone may have use it over and over.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts