Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I received this letter in the mail today from Chevrolet. Seems they are now acknowledging the problem with the rocker arm valve and are fixing them for free, up to 10 years 120,000 miles. Curious if anybody else has received this letter?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,242 Posts
As a side note about protecting your privacy, you may want to black out the QR code and the bar code as well. Humans can't read 'em, but computers sure can.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,692 Posts
That's great news, thanks for sharing. There is even a customer reimbursement available for those that already had the work performed which is great.

Here is a copy of the full program release. It covers about 180,000 2014 cars so should cover most owners (wait for your letter or contact your dealer or chevy if you don't receive one): https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10177367-9999.pdf

·
Registered
1 Posts
I talked with a representative they won't fix if it's over 120,000 miles
Which I have more just recently been told by my mechanic this is the issue I'm having with my Malibu...

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,692 Posts
I talked with a representative they won't fix if it's over 120,000 miles
Which I have more just recently been told by my mechanic this is the issue I'm having with my Malibu...
They'll fix it, they just don't fix it for free as the program doesn't cover repair over 120,000 miles. Repair to a part that has - let's say 130,000 miles over 7 years - isn't considered a defective part it's a part that performed well and needs maintenance just like struts or shocks might.

Reactions: cp-the-nerd

·
Registered
51 Posts
...but lets leave out those 2015 model year cars...Argh. (n)

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,028 Posts
...but lets leave out those 2015 model year cars...Argh. (n)
You might be overreacting to a letter that has simply been tailored for 2014 owners. There's no proof here that the 2015 will not be covered.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,692 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
In years past (my experience with other auto makers), they would target multiple years in a campaign. But yes, GM could be tailoring a letter for each model year. We shall wait and see...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a repair done in October 2018. What was replaced was the Rocker Arm Solenoid Valve. Is this the same thing that is covered in this letter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE!
(My Malibu is a 2014, 2.5L, however the following information probably applies to other model years as well).
As of June 2020, CHEVY has issued a recall for the defective OCV for Malibu (and probably affected Impala model years).
Chevy will replace part at no charge for parts and labor (including the valve cover if necessary) up to 10 years from date vehicle was placed in service or up to 120, 000 miles.
Chevy will also reimburse expenses already paid for repairs, but only if received by July 31, 2021, by a Chevy dealer or Chevy Corp.
Any inquiries can be made by calling 800-222-1020.
Please forward this information to anyone who has been affected by this defective part.
Disclaimer: I am only relaying information that I personally received in a letter from Chevy and cannot personally be held responsible in any manner for the above information.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,242 Posts
We have an entire thread discussing this from when it first started happening. Thanks for sharing. That was a kind and neighborly thing to do!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a repair done in October 2018. What was replaced was the Rocker Arm Solenoid Valve. Is this the same thing that is covered in this letter?
The part is called the OCV for oil control valve. It is often confused with the intake and outtake VVT solenoids that are cylindrical and are installed on the left side of the engine (facing the engine).

·
Registered
3 Posts
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE!
(My Malibu is a 2014, 2.5L, however the following information probably applies to other model years as well).
As of June 2020, CHEVY has issued a recall for the defective OCV for Malibu (and probably affected Impala model years).
Chevy will replace part at no charge for parts and labor (including the valve cover if necessary) up to 10 years from date vehicle was placed in service or up to 120, 000 miles.
Chevy will also reimburse expenses already paid for repairs, but only if received by July 31, 2021, by a Chevy dealer or Chevy Corp.
Any inquiries can be made by calling 800-222-1020.
Please forward this information to anyone who has been affected by this defective part.
Disclaimer: I am only relaying information that I personally received in a letter from Chevy and cannot personally be held responsible in any manner for the above information.
I want add that the original notice from NHTSA allows reimbursement until July 31, 2020. However, the letter I received had changed the deadline to July 31, 2021.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,692 Posts
I read the

I want add that the original notice from NHTSA allows reimbursement until July 31, 2020. However, the letter I received had changed the deadline to July 31, 2021.
The original notice (see post 4) from NHTSA lists July 31, 2021 for reimbursement just like your letter on page 3.

Attachments

Reactions: buttermilkandcream

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I received this letter in the mail today from Chevrolet. Seems they are now acknowledging the problem with the rocker arm valve and are fixing them for free, up to 10 years 120,000 miles. Curious if anybody else has received this letter?

View attachment 69183
I got the same letter part in on national back order
Yeah, I received the same letter also.

·
Registered
Malibu 2014 LT eco 2.0
2 Posts
That was the exact part I had replaced. I replaced it literally a week before getting the letter. I went to a dealership with a copy of the receipt from the mechanic, and the letter, and got a reimbursement check in the mail about 2 weeks later. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts