Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I posted this a couple of days ago, it sounds like you got your problem fixed but you may want to be proactive.

I drove my car on Monday and noticed a bit of a hesitation, stumbling & bucking it felt almost like I ran across some rumble strips I didn't think too much of it but it happened a few more times I could just about duplicate it, it happened at low speeds just speeding up. I thought if I give it some gas it might clear out whatever it was but for the most part it didn't make it any better.

I remember reading about this type of issue on this forum so I already bought the GDI intake and vale cleaner, I took off the hose connecting the air cleaner to the manifold and emptied the can with my beautiful wife revving the engine to about 3k rpm it hesitated, stumbled and died a couple times but the "treatment" went as expected, I left it soak for an hour. I asked my son to go with me for a 15 minute drive per the directions and even he noticed the car was stumbling and not running right but by the time we got home the issue was gone....

I followed the directions (mostly) and it worked to perfection just as advertised, it has been a few days now and the car runs great.

Thank you all for the great advice, I'll do the treatment again in 5k miles and from here on out every 10k.
Question: Did you change the oil afterwards? Cleaners like that (like GM's ubiquitous Top Engine Cleaner) can and will contaminate the engine oil so it is always a good idea to change the oil after the treatment has run it's course.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Question: Did you change the oil afterwards? Cleaners like that (like GM's ubiquitous Top Engine Cleaner) can and will contaminate the engine oil so it is always a good idea to change the oil after the treatment has run it's course.
I didn't thanks for that I'll do it tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,923 Posts
That's interesting I'll have to look into that it's well worth it if I can get another 100k miles, I just hope that they don't do what I just did and charge me $300.

Whats that service called?
Most places offer something called a walnut shell blasting service for carbon build up. It's a mouthful, but they'll know what you're asking for.

Also, @HFHeard I am not aware of any issues with top engine spray cleaner contaminating the oil. It has minimal contact with the engine oil, this is not an oil additive which is a different product.

·
Registered
8 Posts
All engines have blow-by, without exception. Blow by is worse at at an idle than at speed. It is that will contaminate the oil. Depending on the wear of the engine some will do well, others badly. When I was a parts manager with GM we always recommended the oil change after the TEC (Top Engine Cleaner). When I was parts and service manager with Mazda we would not do a upper engine cleaning with out an oil change. This was to protect us and believe we needed it! You would be astonished at what customers try to blame a dealer for.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,852 Posts
Most places offer something called a walnut shell blasting service for carbon build up. It's a mouthful, but they'll know what you're asking for.

Also, @HFHeard I am not aware of any issues with top engine spray cleaner contaminating the oil. It has minimal contact with the engine oil, this is not an oil additive which is a different product.
All engines have blow-by, without exception. Blow by is worse at at an idle than at speed. It is that will contaminate the oil. Depending on the wear of the engine some will do well, others badly. When I was a parts manager with GM we always recommended the oil change after the TEC (Top Engine Cleaner). When I was parts and service manager with Mazda we would not do a upper engine cleaning with out an oil change. This was to protect us and believe we needed it! You would be astonished at what customers try to blame a dealer for.
I agree that all engines have blow-by. That's part of the reason why motor oils have additives.

Unless the TEC is liquid and soaks the cylinder walls so badly that it makes its way past the rings and dilutes the oil a lot, as mentioned by @cp-the-nerd, it won't contaminate it enough to make it a worry. What's there will either burn off as the engine is driven or be dealt with by the additives.

A dealership changing the oil in order to prevent legal issues is not an argument in favor of claiming that TEC will hurt an engine's oil or the cylinder walls due to removing most or all the protective oil.

There's nothing wrong with changing it, but if that's what's going to happen with a TEC treatment, the vehicle owner would be wise to schedule the visit at about the time that a regularly-scheduled oil change is due. Personally, if my high-quality filter and full-synthetic oil was dumped and replaced with something else, I'd be talking to the service writer or the service manager, unless I knew going in that it would be changed.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,923 Posts
By all means, do the cleaning treatment prior to a regularly scheduled oil change, but to say that 6 oz of spray (one treatment per Seafoam instructions) that mostly just exits the engine is contaminating 4-5 quarts of dexos-spec synthetic oil is being over-protective. It doesn't surprise me that is dealership policy, though.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts