Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2014 Chevy Malibu LS 2.5L. It has 134000 miles on it and when I came to a stop at the light, my auto start/stop cut the car off as usual. However, the car wouldnt cut back on once I took my foot off the brakes and pressed the gas pedal. I had to put my car in park and then restart the engine by turning the key off and on. Anyone knows why or any suggestions? I just changed my car battery some months ago, new spark plugs and ignition coil. This is not the first time either, it does it often.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,516 Posts
You wrote you changed the battery. Which one? In gen8 there is a battery in the engine compartment and trunk. At 5 years and 134k I'd think both need replacement if electrical Gremlins are surfacing.

·
Super Moderator
3,516 Posts
Chevy needs to address the issue!
They have addressed it: three bulletins including a test and calibration update for gen8 cars. That and they redesigned the entire system for gen9 eliminating the aux battery.

bulletins for 2014 stop start issues:
PI1426A <--general start/stop stuff
PI1495B <-- this one has the ECM update for failure to restart after autostop or crank then stall
16-NA-227 <-- for batteries that die unexpected or shortly after replacement

Reactions: cp-the-nerd

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,499 Posts
My wife's Cruze has failed to restart on 1 or 2 occasions since she bought it. The moment it's out of powertrain warranty, we're disabling the feature.

I don't mind that Chevy has implemented the technology to save gas, but it's pretty ridiculous they haven't enabled owners or even the dealerships to turn it off. This was one of the very first criticisms when GM start/stop came out 7 or 8 years ago and they're just now adding a button to some 2020 models.

It should be as simple as a technician being able to plug in with a tech 2 and turn it off during an oil change for no cost.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,908 Posts
I asked my dealer to turn on the "After-blow" feature on my Gen7 2011. They quoted $100. I passed.

While it should be as simple as hooking up a Tech2 and just clicking an option, it'll cost $$$ to do so.

Instead, I feel that there should be an item in the personalization menu to turn it off or on. I doubt many really want or need to turn it on/off very often. While that is not as instantaneous as a simple switch, it's available nonetheless, and costs the OWNER of the vehicle nothing to change.

Sorry for capitalizing OWNER above, but once anyone is buying the car, they become the sole source of what happens to it, regardless of any software licenses as far as I'm concerned. If they wanna hold some kind of legal-schmegal mumbo-jumbo over my head, then let them also step up to the plate and do free diagnostics! If they wanna dictate, there's a price to pay.

[/end of soapbox]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 2014 Chevy Malibu ls at 138000 miles. No lights was on but it just became time to get an oil change. Last night i was driving home and I came to a stop at the stop light. My auto stop kicked in and the car cut off, immediately I took my foot off the break so the car could start back up and the car didnt start. The service vehicle light came on, i switch to park and everything went black. The car wouldnt power up, the key in the ignition wouldnt move, i couldnt switch to turn my car off or on. It was like it was completely dead without even the hazard. When the guy picked my car up he said it wad a lot of some kind of oil under the car. Im having it towed but does anyone know whats going on?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,908 Posts
The first bad thing is all the oil. That could mean that your oil "change" was just a drain and they never filled it, or the drain plug is loose/missing or the oil filter is leaking.

They may owe you an engine!

·
Super Moderator
3,516 Posts
Also, based on post history it seems there have been some previous electrical issues. At one point one of the batteries was replaced; I am curious if the other was replaced and that behavior ever returned to normal? The oil leaking is probably related to the oil change unfortunately. Hopefully that was just some spilled oil that maybe dripped off a splash shield when they raised to tow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The first bad thing is all the oil. That could mean that your oil "change" was just a drain and they never filled it, or the drain plug is loose/missing or the oil filter is leaking.

They may owe you an engine!
So the car started up again and is running now but it is not running great. Im not sure what to look for because the mechanic is saying he cant do much if there is no engine light on. I mean the car just shut off completely at a light and didnt cut back on till the next day. I had to unplug the battey and then it started back up.

·
Super Moderator
3,516 Posts
You wrote you changed the battery. Which one? In gen8 there is a battery in the engine compartment and trunk.
Also, based on post history it seems there have been some previous electrical issues. At one point one of the batteries was replaced; I am curious if the other was replaced and that behavior ever returned to normal?
We won't have much more advice for you if you continue to ignore simple questions like the questions above. I'll ask a third time: when you replaced a battery, which one did you replace? Did your mechanic figure out what was leaking and if it was oil, from where?

·
Super Moderator
3,516 Posts
I replaced the battery for the car not for the auto stop start.
If that is the case I would move on to replacing the battery in the trunk. You could also take it in for diagnosis. At one point you had an engine light come on - perhaps that is still on or a code is present in the history. Retrieving that code might help with diagnosis. If this were my car I'd replace the aux battery first and go from there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got a 2014 Chevy Malibu LS 2.5L. It has 134000 miles on it and when I came to a stop at the light, my auto start/stop cut the car off as usual. However, the car wouldnt cut back on once I took my foot off the brakes and pressed the gas pedal. I had to put my car in park and then restart the engine by turning the key off and on. Anyone knows why or any suggestions? I just changed my car battery some months ago, new spark plugs and ignition coil. This is not the first time either, it does it often.
Did you ever get the issue resolved. I’m also having the same issue for a few months now. I don’t know if it has to do with the auxiliary battery in the trunk but that battery was replaced at the dealer mid 2016. I’ve been googling this question for a few hours now but haven’t found any answers yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If that is the case I would move on to replacing the battery in the trunk. You could also take it in for diagnosis. At one point you had an engine light come on - perhaps that is still on or a code is present in the history. Retrieving that code might help with diagnosis. If this were my car I'd replace the aux battery first and go from there.
I’m having the same issue with my 2014 Malibu 2LT’s auto stop feature. Every time the car shuts off for auto stop it tries to turn back on but fails to do so and I’m left manually trying to turn it on. Sometimes it works right away, other times it’ll turn on after the second or third try. My auxiliary battery in the trunk was replaced I want to say mid 2016. This issue has been going on for a few months now. Definitely started after I replaced the
We won't have much more advice for you if you continue to ignore simple questions like the questions above. I'll ask a third time: when you replaced a battery, which one did you replace? Did your mechanic figure out what was leaking and if it was oil, from where?
Hello i have a 2014 Malibu 2lt with the same auto stop issues. My auxiliary batter was replaced mid year 2016 and everything was good until my engine light came on late 2019 or January 2020. I can’t even remember exactly but the code was for the rocker arm control valve. I replaced vvt solenoid also the intake and exhaust solenoid. Shortly after that, maybe 2 months or so after was when the auto stop started having issues. After the suto stop is engaged and my foot comes off the brake, it fails to restart after two failed attempts. I’ll manually restart it and it might start right away but sometimes wont start until the 2nd or 3rd try and or me hitting the gas as its trying to start. Im so frustrated and embarrassed when it happens. Also scared that someone will crash into me because they don’t realize I’m not moving yet!

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Battery under the hood is what starts the engine. Trunk aux. battery just keeps every thing else on like the radio and wipers when it's in auto stop.
I'd have the big battery under the hood checked as it may be getting weak, poor connection, etc. .
When you say start does the motor crank over like it's trying to start or it's not doing anything. There is a difference in describing the condition.
Today's batteries may only last 3-4 years and you may need to get both checked.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts