Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Battery under the hood is what starts the engine. Trunk aux. battery just keeps every thing else on like the radio and wipers when it's in auto stop.
I'd have the big battery under the hood checked as it may be getting weak, poor connection, etc. .
When you say start does the motor crank over like it's trying to start or it's not doing anything. There is a difference in describing the condition.
Today's batteries may only last 3-4 years and you may need to get both checked.
Noted on getting them both checked. Yes it tries to start, does the noise most cars make when starting but it doesn’t start, it’ll shut back down. That may happen once or twice before it does come on or sometimes it just comes right on after manually turning it on.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Question to @repairman54 and other techs

Is it possibly the DBCM that's turning off the ignition to stop the engine but then not reestablishing that power to the engine when the stop cycle is finished?
I've posted a couple of times links for a 2-part video series explaining and diagnosing a fellow's problems with code P305F.

It worried me how central that piece of electronics is to the batteries and the stop start.
CHEVY MALIBU P305F DUAL BATTERY FAULT DIAGNOSIS PART 1 - YouTube

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Basic test is to see the charging voltage at both batteries with engine running.
Circuit/System Description

This system uses a dual battery configuration which includes the 12 V primary battery and 12 V auxiliary battery. The dual battery control module switches the 12 V primary battery and 12 V auxiliary battery in and out at appropriate times to support vehicle loads and battery charging. During engine crank, the auxiliary battery is switched in to supply voltage to the vehicle loads (except the starter motor which receives voltage from the primary battery), and the ECM monitors the auxiliary battery voltage through the IGN input.

Conditions for Running the DTC

During CRANK.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The Engine Control Module (ECM) identifies that the voltage during engine crank at the IGN input (auxiliary battery voltage) of the ECM is below 8.90 V for 2 out of 3 start events.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

- P305F is a type B code.

- Auto-stop is disabled.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

The voltage at the IGN input of the ECM is above 8.9 V for more than 3 consecutive start events.

Diagnostic Aids

It is critical that all electrical connections are clean and tight. Some of the connections to verify include:

- Main and Auxiliary battery ground connections

- Auxiliary battery cable connection

- Dual Battery Control Module connections

- All connections in the X50D Fuse Block - Battery

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any Luck, My 2014 Malibu once the start/stop stops the car it has trouble restarting and stalls. The lights on the dashboard Flicker and then I have to try and manually restart. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.

This has become nothing but pain. Chevy needs to address the issue!
I have the same problem with my 2014 Malibu LT, so embarrassing especially when your at a light...ugh!

Any Luck, My 2014 Malibu once the start/stop stops the car it has trouble restarting and stalls. The lights on the dashboard Flicker and then I have to try and manually restart. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.

This has become nothing but pain. Chevy needs to address the issue!

I have the same problem with my 2014 Malibu Lt, this is ridiculously getting on my nerves, it's been put in the shop twice with different companies, one shop said nothing is wrong, just tighten up, some wires, still the same problem, another shop told me to sell ithe car , the engine is going out, that's why it keeps acting up, seriously Chevy need to own up to their faultly responsibility and recall all these Malibu's 2014 back and fix them........

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m having the same issue with my 2014 Malibu 2LT’s auto stop feature. Every time the car shuts off for auto stop it tries to turn back on but fails to do so and I’m left manually trying to turn it on. Sometimes it works right away, other times it’ll turn on after the second or third try. My auxiliary battery in the trunk was replaced I want to say mid 2016. This issue has been going on for a few months now. Definitely started after I replaced the

Hello i have a 2014 Malibu 2lt with the same auto stop issues. My auxiliary batter was replaced mid year 2016 and everything was good until my engine light came on late 2019 or January 2020. I can’t even remember exactly but the code was for the rocker arm control valve. I replaced vvt solenoid also the intake and exhaust solenoid. Shortly after that, maybe 2 months or so after was when the auto stop started having issues. After the suto stop is engaged and my foot comes off the brake, it fails to restart after two failed attempts. I’ll manually restart it and it might start right away but sometimes wont start until the 2nd or 3rd try and or me hitting the gas as its trying to start. Im so frustrated and embarrassed when it happens. Also scared that someone will crash into me because they don’t realize I’m not moving yet!
As far as the rocker arm control valve, ours pulled the same code. We also replaced the intake and exhaust solenoids. It ended up being the oil control valve that Chevy replaced under their special coverage bulletin that covered it up until 140,000 miles. Hope that helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2014 Malibu Echo.. had the battery replaced last year. The stop start function intermediately will not function properly. Will stop, but when I press gas to go will not start or turn over, have to place in park , turn key off and re-crank. So could it be the battery I bought last year causing this? Is there a way to totally do away with the start stop function? Thanks in advance before it gets me killed!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2014 Malibu LT, so embarrassing especially when your at a light...ugh!

I have the same problem with my 2014 Malibu Lt, this is ridiculously getting on my nerves, it's been put in the shop twice with different companies, one shop said nothing is wrong, just tighten up, some wires, still the same problem, another shop told me to sell ithe car , the engine is going out, that's why it keeps acting up, seriously Chevy need to own up to their faultly responsibility and recall all these Malibu's 2014 back and fix them........
I called GM today and inquired,,, no recalls, her response was take to dealship and have them do a diagnostic on the issue! it does not do it all the time.... sick of it! just would like to disengage the stop /stop ! nothing in manual about how to do that.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,931 Posts
I called GM today and inquired,,, no recalls, her response was take to dealship and have them do a diagnostic on the issue! it does not do it all the time.... sick of it! just would like to disengage the stop /stop ! nothing in manual about how to do that.
Check out a Trifecta tune.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got a 2014 Chevy Malibu LS 2.5L. It has 134000 miles on it and when I came to a stop at the light, my auto start/stop cut the car off as usual. However, the car wouldnt cut back on once I took my foot off the brakes and pressed the gas pedal. I had to put my car in park and then restart the engine by turning the key off and on. Anyone knows why or any suggestions? I just changed my car battery some months ago, new spark plugs and ignition coil. This is not the first time either, it does it often.
I’m having the same issue with my 2014 Malibu 2LT’s auto stop feature. Every time the car shuts off for auto stop it tries to turn back on but fails to do so and I’m left manually trying to turn it on. Sometimes it works right away, other times it’ll turn on after the second or third try. My auxiliary battery in the trunk was replaced I want to say mid 2016. This issue has been going on for a few months now. Definitely started after I replaced the

Hello i have a 2014 Malibu 2lt with the same auto stop issues. My auxiliary batter was replaced mid year 2016 and everything was good until my engine light came on late 2019 or January 2020. I can’t even remember exactly but the code was for the rocker arm control valve. I replaced vvt solenoid also the intake and exhaust solenoid. Shortly after that, maybe 2 months or so after was when the auto stop started having issues. After the suto stop is engaged and my foot comes off the brake, it fails to restart after two failed attempts. I’ll manually restart it and it might start right away but sometimes wont start until the 2nd or 3rd try and or me hitting the gas as its trying to start. Im so frustrated and embarrassed when it happens. Also scared that someone will crash into me because they don’t realize I’m not moving yet!
I JUST REPORTED MINE TO THIS SITE.. ONLY WAY GM WILL HAVE A RECALL AND FIX THESE ISSUES FOR US! ITS A SAFETY ISSUE! Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,931 Posts
I JUST REPORTED MINE TO THIS SITE.. ONLY WAY GM WILL HAVE A RECALL AND FIX THESE ISSUES FOR US! ITS A SAFETY ISSUE! Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA
There are things you can do to prevent Start/Stop from happening.

One is to use your shifter and move it out of D to the next lower selection.

Another is to get a tune from Trifecta, which comes with the ability to cancel Start/Stop.

What have you done to mitigate the problem?

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are things you can do to prevent Start/Stop from happening.

One is to use your shifter and move it out of D to the next lower selection.

Another is to get a tune from Trifecta, which comes with the ability to cancel Start/Stop.

What have you done to mitigate the problem?
only way I have found is to put the car in N when I stop. no lower gear works.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,536 Posts
That's actually helpful. That means the problem isnt Auto Stop related. Auto Stop doesn't activate in any gear but D. If whatever problem you are encountering happens in M it's related to something other than Auto Stop since it isn't even active.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's actually helpful. That means the problem isnt Auto Stop related. Auto Stop doesn't activate in any gear but D. If whatever problem you are encountering happens in M it's related to something other than Auto Stop since it isn't even active.
no I am in Drive when it occurs, I switch to Neutral when I stop to avoid it going into SS. otherwise it will not restart

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,536 Posts
no I am in Drive when it occurs, I switch to Neutral when I stop to avoid it going into SS. otherwise it will not restart
You just wrote in response to suggestions by @DrivenDaily that putting it in the lower gear M selection does not alleviate the problem. Here is the quote:
Perhaps you should explain what happens when you move the shifter to M.

Reactions: DrivenDaily
21 - 36 of 36 Posts