Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Service battery charging station came on today along with battery light on dash board.

Battery has been replaced along with the alternator

what Else could possibly be the problem?

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
have you 2 batteries?...2.5 liter motor with start/stop?...did you replace them both of them?...do you have the correct batteries and were they charged to full capacity prior to installation?...how strong is your alternator?...

Good luck

Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
have you 2 batteries?...2.5 liter motor with start/stop?...did you replace them both of them?...do you have the correct batteries and were they charged to full capacity prior to installation?...how strong is your alternator?...

Good luck

Bill
Just found the 2nd battery gonna have it checked today

primary battery and alternator are both reading good

the 2nd battery is small could that really be the issue

2.5 and yes it has the start stop feature

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes, second batter could be the issue, particularly if it is dead or not holding charge. The PCM works in conjunction with both batteries diverting charge when necessary to either one. Issues with either one can set of DTC codes. Issues with either one will also set of warning lights, put your car in "battery saver mode", etc. Best thing is to have it checked and replace if necessary. There is also a voltage flow sensor either at the connection to the battery at the end of the cable, or on earlier models it is a ring through which your batter cable passes. Issues with that sensor will also throw charging codes and light up your dashboard. Considering your vehicle is a 2014 and if the secondary batter has never been replaced, that would be the best place to start.

PS - having your vehicle scanned with a scanner capable of reading all the modules on your vehicle will likely give you additional clues to your issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, second batter could be the issue, particularly if it is dead or not holding charge. The PCM works in conjunction with both batteries diverting charge when necessary to either one. Issues with either one can set of DTC codes. Issues with either one will also set of warning lights, put your car in "battery saver mode", etc. Best thing is to have it checked and replace if necessary. There is also a voltage flow sensor either at the connection to the battery at the end of the cable, or on earlier models it is a ring through which your batter cable passes. Issues with that sensor will also throw charging codes and light up your dashboard. Considering your vehicle is a 2014 and if the secondary batter has never been replaced, that would be the best place to start.

PS - having your vehicle scanned with a scanner capable of reading all the modules on your vehicle will likely give you additional clues to your issue.
2nd battery tested bad so having it replaced

hoping this fixes the problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have had both batteries changed alternator replaced
And service battery charging station still popping up

what else could potentially be the issue

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Full all 4 code families code scan is required. Not just the P code scan most cheap scan tools do or a parts store scan. Without a full scan it is just an expensive guessing game, codes point the direction to track down the problem. Thats what the dealer and any shop worth a darn does when a car first comes in the door.
Today's cars are computers on tires and complete and proper scans are a must to see if all the modules are working properly.
There is a dual battery control module that will report codes for example.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Registered
85 Posts
Automotive lighting Circuit component Auto part Font Fashion accessory
Rim Auto part Personal protective equipment Fashion accessory Metal
Nozzle Cable Auto part Engineering Automotive wheel system

Could not agree more with @repairman54 suggestions re getting codes read with proper scanner. The charging systems on these vehicles are very complicated. I had a similar elusive charging issue with my 2013 Malibu and I chased my tail for quite a while. And I would still be chasing my tail had I not had the vehicle scanned with a proper scanner capable of reading all modules in this vehicle. I learned my lesson, but it was an expensive lesson. Get your codes read with a proper scanner.

If you're still looking for cheap things to check while you are looking for a garage with a good meter or waiting for your own to arrive, I would try the following:
1. Check your negative battery cable where it attaches to the driver's wheel well. These vehicles are are somewhat well know for having a degraded connection there. Take the bolt off and inspect the wire terminal end and also the wheel well connection. File or otherwise clean up the metal connector and also the wheel well connection surface to be sure you have a good connection here. And tighten the connection real good when you put it back together.

2. Check your voltage/current flow sensor. It will either be at the end of your battery cable attached directly to the battery terminal OR on some models (I think the 2013's only, but I'm not sure of that) it will look like a ring around your battery cable a few inches from the battery cable end similar to a household electrical test meter. This thing is responsible for measuring flow/draw on your primary battery and it is used to help your vehicle distribute charge either to your primary or the secondary(aux) battery. And if it is losing it's mind, you will have all kinds of weirdness with your charging system. Basically, your charging system will not know whether it is on foot or horseback. These parts are relatively cheap and are easy to change - might be worth changing just because 2014 was a long time ago.

3. You will also see a small wire coming off your battery connector separate from the main cable (don't know what this thing does). It has a crappy little O-ring connector. I found my to be partially split at the O-ring connector and the wires frayed, probably from previous owner improperly applying jumper cables to the terminal. Inspect this guy real good and repair if it looks at all funky.

4. I don't know what a Chevy Sonic is, but it sounds like it has the same/similar charging system as the Malibu ECO's. I found this document HERE re the Sonic, and it does a good job describing the charging system (sorry, I couldn't find a similar doc for the Malibu). The document covers the various components of the charging system, also mentions the error you are seeing as well as the flow sensor and other components and is a good read overall for self-education.

5. EX. of the flow sensors.
I've seen this one on models > 2013

this one on my 2013
Rim Auto part Personal protective equipment Fashion accessory Metal
Nozzle Cable Auto part Engineering Automotive wheel system

Good luck! Get your codes read and report back here if you can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts