Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've been having this unusual oil leak coming from somewhere on my 2014 Malibu 2.5L. Up until today, the only indication I had was that there was a burnt oil smell coming from the car after driving and then parking. When it is stationary, you can smell some oil burning from dripping on the exhaust. I first thought that it may be a leaking oil pan, but when I went under the car I saw that the oil leak is originating from the upper area of the engine, on the side closest to the cabin where the intake manifold is. I replaced both PCV valves and the PCV hose, but that didn't stop the leaking. I then thought that it was the notorious rocker valve solenoid going bad, but after putting fluorescent dye in the engine oil and then checking the engine with a UV light, I see puddles of oil built up in the crevices of the intake manifold, not the rocker solenoid. I have no coolant loss or anything like that. The coolant level remains steady and I never need to top it off, so I'll check that possibility off the list unless you guys know of something I'm unaware of. The engine uses/losses about a quart of oil after 2,000-2,500 miles, using Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20. I personally haven't found any information about my specific engine or vehicle having an issue with oil leakage from the intake manifold, but wanted to see what you all thought and if you think it's maybe the manifold gasket or something else. Thank you for your time and help.

*The orange/yellow/green tint to the oil is from the fluorescent dye.

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
I would check to see if cam/valve cover bolts are loose. Since intake bolts are known to loosen up also it's a starting point before changing the cover gasket.
Oil doesn't travel through the intake or exhaust manifolds.
I only use 5w-30 synth. in my '15 2.5 myself.

Reactions: rileysmith242

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would check to see if cam/valve cover bolts are loose. Since intake bolts are known to loosen up also it's a starting point before changing the cover gasket.
Oil doesn't travel through the intake or exhaust manifolds.
I only use 5w-30 synth. in my '15 2.5 myself.
Thanks for the pointer. So you'd say that if it's not loose bolts, that it's likely the valve cover gasket? I was thinking it was intake manifold related at first because when I look under the car and up at the manifold, the entire manifold housing is covered with oil and it looks like that's where the oil is dripping from. Obviously that doesn't mean that's where the oil is leaking from, but I can't really see anything else that has oil on it above or on the sides of the intake manifold. I thought it would be strange though, seeing as it's the AIR intake manifold...but I don't know with engines designs anymore, haha. I'll try and tear down the air system a little more tonight to try and see more of the engine back there and then tighten the bolts on the top of the valve cover. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you ever resolve your oil leak issue? How many miles on your Malibu?
Here is a video on the "Cam Tower Cover" gasket set replacement. Pretty intense work. Also check out this link on a known issue that can cause a leak in that area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.