Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Malibu with 171,000 miles. It has worked perfectly up until 6 months ago. It started stalling in traffic intersections and at stop signs, which is a dangerous safety issue. The Auto Stop would engage and then when I put my foot on the accelerator, it stalled out. I would turn the vehicle off and restart it. I took it to countless mechanics who could not figure out what was causing the problem because the Check Engine light did not come on and no codes were triggered. The problem became worse over time and once the vehicle stalled, it would not immediately restart. I took it to my Chevy Dealer and they were baffled as well. They uploaded new software which included the Auto Stop feature, but it continued to stall. They replaced the front battery and checked the one in the trunk. It still stalled. The Dealer said that since the Check Engine light did not come on, they were shooting in the dark. I asked them to disconnect the Auto Stop function, but they said that they couldn't. Unlike other models, there was no disconnection method. I have looked at many on-line chats on the 2014 Chevy Malibu and this defect in the Auto Stop function seems pretty prevalent. No one has come up with a workable solution. I filed a Notice of Claim with Chevrolet corporate and asked them to provide a fix. Does anyone have any ideas of either how to fix the Auto Stop or to disable it? Right now I am shifting into neutral at all traffic signals and stop signs, so that the Auto Stop function does not engage, but that seems like a poor fix to the problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
To keep the Auto start from engaging, instead of shifting into neutral, if you just drive in M-Manual shift position, the auto-stop will not engage.

Aside from that, you have no other indication of trouble aside from the stalling??, i.e., is the car going into battery saver mode before this starts happening? Have you tried driving around with the batter voltage showing in the dash heads up display to observe proper voltage to the battery?

Additionally, my 2013 was doing the same thing and it turned out to be the Variable Valve Timing Solenoid (VVT). There are two of them, one intake and one exhaust, pretty easy to change in your driveway and not crazy expensive. After every stop sign or light, upon acceleration, there would be a big hesitation and then a stall. Once the stall occurred, it would wreak havoc with the ECO/charging system. I changed both and problem solved. I would expect codes for this issue however, like a P0010 and/or P0011 if I recall correctly. A couple of things to note here. Dirty or low oil will cause the VVT's to malfunction so check the condition and level of your oil. If you have extra time this weekend, pull them out, put an ohm meter on them. If that checks out, put voltage to the terminals on the valve and you should see the internal shaft actuate with voltage, release when you remove voltage. Also inspect the screens for dirt and/or clogs.

Also of note, after your first start of the day, these valves don't activate until you've driven over 30 mph. As a test, you may want to start your car in the morning and drive to the nearest stop sign being careful not to exceed approx 30 mph. If that stop/go goes okay without incident, then bring it up over 30-40 mph and find a safe place to stop again. If you then get the stalling condition, I would highly suspect one or both of those VVT valves even if you're not getting a code on the vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To keep the Auto start from engaging, instead of shifting into neutral, if you just drive in M-Manual shift position, the auto-stop will not engage.

Aside from that, you have no other indication of trouble aside from the stalling??, i.e., is the car going into battery saver mode before this starts happening? Have you tried driving around with the batter voltage showing in the dash heads up display to observe proper voltage to the battery?

Additionally, my 2013 was doing the same thing and it turned out to be the Variable Valve Timing Solenoid (VVT). There are two of them, one intake and one exhaust, pretty easy to change in your driveway and not crazy expensive. After every stop sign or light, upon acceleration, there would be a big hesitation and then a stall. Once the stall occurred, it would wreak havoc with the ECO/charging system. I changed both and problem solved. I would expect codes for this issue however, like a P0010 and/or P0011 if I recall correctly. A couple of things to note here. Dirty or low oil will cause the VVT's to malfunction so check the condition and level of your oil. If you have extra time this weekend, pull them out, put an ohm meter on them. If that checks out, put voltage to the terminals on the valve and you should see the internal shaft actuate with voltage, release when you remove voltage. Also inspect the screens for dirt and/or clogs.

Also of note, after your first start of the day, these valves don't activate until you've driven over 30 mph. As a test, you may want to start your car in the morning and drive to the nearest stop sign being careful not to exceed approx 30 mph. If that stop/go goes okay without incident, then bring it up over 30-40 mph and find a safe place to stop again. If you then get the stalling condition, I would highly suspect one or both of those VVT valves even if you're not getting a code on the vehicle.
Thanks for this input. I had both Solenoid's replaced, oil changed, and injectors and other areas cleaned. I also had the battery changed as well. It still stalls. I will try the M-Manual shift position. Do I need to press the +/- button in order to shift in M or does it do it automatically? Also, is there a way to disconnect the Auto Stop function?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,741 Posts
If you seek something to prevent auto stop continually, Trifecta has an auto stop delete option: 2014--2015 Chevrolet Malibu / 2016 Malibu Limited - 2.5L - AutoStop Delete Only

It can be hard to fix these things on the 1st gen 2-battery start/stop system when no codes are present. At 6 years both the under hood and trunk battery should be replaced if having problems. Beyond that, half of these issues aren't even batteries it is a failing battery junction fuse block/dual battery module that sits above the positive battery terminal. That often tosses a P305F code though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you seek something to prevent auto stop continually, Trifecta has an auto stop delete option: 2014--2015 Chevrolet Malibu / 2016 Malibu Limited - 2.5L - AutoStop Delete Only

It can be hard to fix these things on the 1st gen 2-battery start/stop system when no codes are present. At 6 years both the under hood and trunk battery should be replaced if having problems. Beyond that, half of these issues aren't even batteries it is a failing battery junction fuse block that sits above the positive battery terminal. That often tosses a P305F code though.
The Trifecta Auto Stop Delete would seem to do the trick. Has anyone else in this forum used this and did it work?

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Trifecta tune with Auto Stop delete is in my '15 2.5. Zero issues with the AS, it's gone.
I bought the tune as it was only a few bucks more than just the AS elimination and it comes with the tune.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'd suspect the dual battery control module or one of the other problems
covered in this thorough troubleshooting video.

Watch these two videos which diagnose the 305F code including some other connections which can give trouble.

It's a lot of watching but very informative about how complex the operation of the DBCM is--I notice it has several fuses as part of it. Might check those.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I also have the Trifecta tune (plus auto start/stop delete) and its been the best thing I could have done to this 2.5. Wakes it up, makes it more fun to drive, and permanently eliminates that ridiculous auto stop.

I get your vehicle has 100K more miles than mine but I would consider it if you plan on keeping her for many years to come.

Side note, if you haven't replaced the trunk battery, I highly recommend you do it now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts