Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Aftermarket Non Genuine GM VVT parts cannot be trusted to work properly, in fact they cause other issues with folks thinking the ''new'' parts are good and working properly.
Any battery over 2 yrs old cannot be trusted either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same issue. I replaced the VVT intake and out then the VVT Solenoid and started having issues. Hard startup, then start/stop and the car not wanting to restart or start at all sometimes. Did you ever fix your issue? Or has anyone ever figured it out?
Same issues! Wasted Thousands of $$ changing VVT's, Batteries, Injectors, fuel filters, so far and its still stalling after auto stop tries to start back up.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,536 Posts
Same issues! Wasted Thousands of $$ changing VVT's, Batteries, Injectors, fuel filters, so far and its still stalling after auto stop tries to start back up.
Since the parts cannon is out might as well try the positive battery fuse block/DBCM.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Seems to me that diagnosing the problem first would be a sensible way to avoid spending lots of money on unneeded parts that may cause new problems.

The two videos I posted earlier in this thread and there is a TSB sheet that shows the same diagnosis as part of the videos would be a help.

I replaced my rear battery when I replaced the main battery on my 2014. I didn't want any anomalous problems to start with the start stop "feature" when it does operate.

Unless I have a truly knowledgeable mechanic at a garage I frequented and trusted, I'd go to the Chevy store in the area with a reputation for fixing things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been having the same issue with my 2014 Malibu with 158000mi, I've found if you disconnect the hood latch sensor your engine will not activate the auto stop, which is a plus, but you will get a check engine light for the hood switch being disconnected. I like the majority of you have done both vvt's, timing chain and the intake vvt oil pressure sensor, none of which fixed the issue (had codes for all of the above, except timing chain, changed it as regular maintenance). The trifecta tune may be my next step, but I believe that is just masking a bigger problem, I say this because my car will still stall at stop lights from time to time after the engine is up to temp, have to pump the gas pedal to her to fire up too. Maybe I'll clean the mass air flow sensor out and see if that helps? I'll let ya guys and gals know if that does it.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,931 Posts
I've been having the same issue with my 2014 Malibu with 158000mi, I've found if you disconnect the hood latch sensor your engine will not activate the auto stop, which is a plus, but you will get a check engine light for the hood switch being disconnected. I like the majority of you have done both vvt's, timing chain and the intake vvt oil pressure sensor, none of which fixed the issue. The trifecta tune may be my next step, but I believe that is just masking a bigger problem, I say this because my car will still stall at stop lights from time to time after the engine is up to temp, have to pump the gas pedal to her to fire up too. Maybe I'll clean the mass air flow sensor out and see if that helps? I'll let ya guys and gals know if that does it.
Keep in mind that you have a DI engine, so the backs of the intake valves are not being cleaned by the spray of gas like in our older SPFI engines. And no amount of cleaner poured into the tank will clean them, either. It is a manual, hands-on job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2014 Malibu with 171,000 miles. It has worked perfectly up until 6 months ago. It started stalling in traffic intersections and at stop signs, which is a dangerous safety issue. The Auto Stop would engage and then when I put my foot on the accelerator, it stalled out. I would turn the vehicle off and restart it. I took it to countless mechanics who could not figure out what was causing the problem because the Check Engine light did not come on and no codes were triggered. The problem became worse over time and once the vehicle stalled, it would not immediately restart. I took it to my Chevy Dealer and they were baffled as well. They uploaded new software which included the Auto Stop feature, but it continued to stall. They replaced the front battery and checked the one in the trunk. It still stalled. The Dealer said that since the Check Engine light did not come on, they were shooting in the dark. I asked them to disconnect the Auto Stop function, but they said that they couldn't. Unlike other models, there was no disconnection method. I have looked at many on-line chats on the 2014 Chevy Malibu and this defect in the Auto Stop function seems pretty prevalent. No one has come up with a workable solution. I filed a Notice of Claim with Chevrolet corporate and asked them to provide a fix. Does anyone have any ideas of either how to fix the Auto Stop or to disable it? Right now I am shifting into neutral at all traffic signals and stop signs, so that the Auto Stop function does not engage, but that seems like a poor fix to the problem.
Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA FILE A COMPLAINT HERE! I JUST DID BEFORE I GET KILLED

I am having the same issue as you! mine just started doing this a few months ago... almost killed 3 times at major intersections at night. I also, am having to put in N to avoid cut off.. have you gotten any results?

·
Administrator
19,931 Posts
Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA FILE A COMPLAINT HERE! I JUST DID BEFORE I GET KILLED
There are things you can do to prevent Start/Stop from happening.

One is to use your shifter and move it out of D to the next lower selection.

Another is to get a tune from Trifecta, which comes with the ability to cancel Start/Stop.

What have you done to mitigate the problem?

You're also posting the same suggestions in multiple places, such as this thread.

·
Administrator
19,931 Posts
I've been told by a service writer at our local Chevy dealer that they have been replacing ALOT of ecm's to correct this problem.
thanks chev needs to have a recall!
@Palma1000
What is the name of the dealership? Did you ask more questions about this? What years and engines are affected by all these ECM replacements?

@chicks8corn
Anything new to add?

Thread has been closed since there is already the same discussion in this thread.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.