Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a 2014 Malibu with my check engine light on reading the code p055b, I have had a fresh oil change, replaced an intake solenoid valve, an oil sensor and then most recently the Engine Variable Timing Oil Control Valve and the light still came back on. Has anyone had this code that was able to clear it? My inspection is way overdue and I’m at a loss of what to do at this point

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
P055B CHEVROLET Meaning
The Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Oil Pressure Sensor, located in the cylinder head, is a 3-wire sensor comprising of a signal circuit, low reference circuit and the 5-volt reference circuit. The Engine Control Module (ECM) supplies 5 volts to the sensor via the 5-volt reference circuit and provides ground via the low reference circuit. The ECM monitors the signal circuit to determine the sensor voltage is within the normal operating range of approximately 1-4 volts. When the intake camshaft position actuator oil pressure is high, the sensor voltage is high and the ECM senses a high signal voltage. When the intake camshaft position actuator oil pressure is low, the sensor voltage is low and the ECM senses a low signal voltage. The intake camshaft position actuator oil pressure sensor is used by the ECM for variable valve lift performance diagnosis.
OBDII Code P055B CHEVROLET - Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Oil Pressure Sensor Performance - Engine-Codes.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
P055B CHEVROLET Meaning
The Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Oil Pressure Sensor, located in the cylinder head, is a 3-wire sensor comprising of a signal circuit, low reference circuit and the 5-volt reference circuit. The Engine Control Module (ECM) supplies 5 volts to the sensor via the 5-volt reference circuit and provides ground via the low reference circuit. The ECM monitors the signal circuit to determine the sensor voltage is within the normal operating range of approximately 1-4 volts. When the intake camshaft position actuator oil pressure is high, the sensor voltage is high and the ECM senses a high signal voltage. When the intake camshaft position actuator oil pressure is low, the sensor voltage is low and the ECM senses a low signal voltage. The intake camshaft position actuator oil pressure sensor is used by the ECM for variable valve lift performance diagnosis.
OBDII Code P055B CHEVROLET - Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Oil Pressure Sensor Performance - Engine-Codes.com
Sorry I’m not familiar with cars at all but what would it mean if I replaced the sensor already and the light continues to come in for the same code? I also replaced my timing chain and the light stayed off for 90 miles and then came back on before it was ready to get inspected so I’m seriously just lost as to what could be the problem now and mechanics are having a hard time diagnosing also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey all,

I have a 2014 Malibu with my check engine light on reading the code p055b, I have had a fresh oil change, replaced an intake solenoid valve, an oil sensor and then most recently the Engine Variable Timing Oil Control Valve and the light still came back on. Has anyone had this code that was able to clear it? My inspection is way overdue and I’m at a loss of what to do at this point
My car a 2014 2.5l Malibu w/ 140k has the same P055B code. At 80k i started to get a P0101 code and had replaced both intake and exhaust vvt actuators. Not too long after that I threw another code and ended up needing to replace some valve solenoid that broke apart. The car ran OK till about a 110k then it started throwing that P0101 code again. Since then I've replaced both intake and exhaust camshafts seleniods, threw another code and swapped the mass air flow sensor and then another code for the crankshaft posistion sensor. Swapped that out and now im getting the P055B code. My dealer said they want to do some type of pressurization test to see exactly what's causing the problem but the more I read post on this form I'm starting to feel that the valve slenoid that shattered at 80k left a piece inside of my Cam cover and that's what's causing restrictions and making this thing just continually throw the same codes over and over again. At this point I've dropped well over 1500 in the chasing these parts and codes to no solution... I don't know if this helps you at all but if you start finding that you're chasing codes, swapping parts and not fixing anything stop before you hit the piont of no return cost wise and just dump the POS the sold us all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all,

Hello. I have te same problem ,How do You resolve the code p055B?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,638 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please share info about your car.
I'm working on a 2014 Malibu LT for a guy and it's throwing the P055b code and when the auto start stop activates most times it doesn't just restart when he lifts off the brake. I don't know if this code could cause that problem but from what I'm hearing you can easily get into an endless parts changing cycle and never clear the code. Something that new should not be throwing a code that never goes away unless gm wants to buy everyone new cars or fix them for free. This one's already been to the dealer...they told him he needed a new engine. I asked the owner of the car to take me up there and point out the guy who told him that so I can knock his teeth out. This guy's way too nice...I would have really done it for him. LOL Any help would be greatly appreciated. Like I say this is a really nice kid and I really don't want to have to charge him over a phantom code that never goes away regardless of what you do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts