Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My son's Malibu has 86000 miles and has thrown a code P2645 - "A" rocker arm actuator control circuit/open bank 1. I replaced the intake variable valve timing (VVT) solenoid (ACDELCO 12662737) and turned off the check engine light. After driving around 10 miles the check engine light came back on with the same code. My son says there is a hesitation at around 35 to 40 mph. I've turned off the check engine light 3 times and the light comes back on. I replaced the camshaft position sensor and the exhaust variable valve timing (VVT) solenoid at around 57000 miles. I use Penzoil Platinum 5w20 full synthetic and the last oil change was at 84000. Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My son's Malibu has 86000 miles and has thrown a code P2645 - "A" rocker arm actuator control circuit/open bank 1. I replaced the intake variable valve timing (VVT) solenoid (ACDELCO 12662737) and turned off the check engine light. After driving around 10 miles the check engine light came back on with the same code. My son says there is a hesitation at around 35 to 40 mph. I've turned off the check engine light 3 times and the light comes back on. I replaced the camshaft position sensor and the exhaust variable valve timing (VVT) solenoid at around 57000 miles. I use Penzoil Platinum 5w20 full synthetic and the last oil change was at 84000. Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks.

Thanks.
We took ours to a shop and checked it and it came up with the same code for the Rocker Arm Control. Got it checked again it finally came up with the Intake Oil Valve needs replacing. And we can't find that part anywhere

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,914 Posts
P2645 DOES NOT refer to the VVT solenoids.

People keep confusing the oil valve controlling the variable lift system with the VVT solenoid actuators. Both are wear and tear parts over the life of the car, but they all have different fault codes in the computer.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,826 Posts
VVT stands for Variable Valve Timing, and as @cp-the-nerd points out, it is not for the Valve Lift.

Notice also that it indicates that the control circuit has a fault or is open (not connected). It may be the device, or it may be the plug or the wiring.

After getting the codes read, an owner needs to have a qualified technician figure out what's actually wrong.

Or you can use the shotgun approach and start replacing parts. To save money in this endeavor, getting a whole different car would also save a lot of work!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The consensus is that it is a bad engine variable timing control valve. Supposedly, oil doesn't get up all the way in the valve and it sticks. Several dealerships have told me that the part has been on back order since October because of the GM strike and they hope to get them in by the end of January. No one seems to know if you can damage the engine if you keep on driving, but most people don't have a choice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way, the other parts replaced on the car had different fault codes. I was just giving some background on the car. It also had both rear wheel hubs replaced under warranty and a code for a bad front louver when it doesn't have an electronic louver. You are right. A whole different car (manufacturer) would be better, but my son isn't quite ready yet. All the problems happened early on, except this last one.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,826 Posts
Looking back at my reply, it looks like it was a bit snippy and I'd like to apologize for that. It wasn't meant that way, but that's how it looks like it came out.

I also did a little snooping about the code and the possible issues. The VVT could be affected, so I stand corrected on that matter as well.

One thing we can ask that could make a difference is to inquire if you actually used AC Delco parts or if the part number was cross-referenced over to another brand. Some have had issues by using non-OE parts for certain critical operations, such as VVT and MAF. It looks like you used OE, but this will ensure that I'm not assuming anything at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apology accepted. Sometimes the printed word looks different than what is intended. Most people who use a website like this are looking for information and maybe to save a few bucks in the hope of doing the work themselves. If this wasn't the case, they would just take their car to the dealership and never use this part of the website. They are not looking to take food out of a gm technician's mouth. They have their place. I know when we took my son's car to a dealership a couple of years ago, they told us there is an $85.00 fee to start, a diagnostic fee, then of course the repair bill. I asked if it was covered under warranty. They said they wouldn't know until they got into it. I called the GM regional office with them and they confirmed it was warranty work. For those people who can't afford going to a dealership, taking a chance on replacing a few parts with just a code may be a lot cheaper.
And yes, I use genuine GM parts although one technician told me that parts made by Dorman, Standard Products and GM come from the same manufacturing facility. Interestingly, there was no country of origin on the ACDelco box.
I have been lucky. The replacement of the intake variable valve timing (VVT) solenoid (ACDELCO 12662737) cleared a P2646 code. I am waiting on the variable valve timing oil control valve and hopefully that will clear the P2645 code which everyone seems to think it will.
Thank you for checking and the information.
Merry Christmas!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts