Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

2014 Malibu: Service Power Steering, Drive with Care

34K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  DrivenDaily 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a '14 Malibu that popped up this message "Service Power Steering, Drive with Care" on the dash this weekend. Power steering seems to be completely out, very difficult to turn the steering wheel. It happened out of the blue, I haven't had any issues with the power steering before. I drove it to work, parked, and came out at the end of the day to leave. When I started the car, this message was on the dash. I tried turning the car off, waiting, and turning back on after a bit but message is still there.

I've done a little Googling and saw earlier models had a recall on them for a similiar issue, but it doesn't extend to the 2014. I also saw it could need a replacement of the steering column or other pricey issues. Are there any smaller things I can look at first that could explain the sudden appearance of this message?

Like I said, I haven't had any issues whatsoever with the steering. I don't know if any of this is pertinent info, but in the last month or so it has had an oil change, new brakes, replaced the intake solenoids, replaced oil pressure sensor, replaced the fuse for the license plate lights, and replaced a wheel bearing assembly.

Oh, also my key broke off from the key fob. When I attempted to start the car without contact with the keyfob, the car wouldn't turn on and the security lock icon came on the dash. I haven't yet replaced the key, just jerryrigged it to the fob.

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#4 ·
Please read this post and share more info. As of now, nobody knows what you're driving or even what was/is wrong with your car.

#5 ·
Hello,

I have a '14 Malibu that popped up this message "Service Power Steering, Drive with Care" on the dash this weekend. Power steering seems to be completely out, very difficult to turn the steering wheel. It happened out of the blue, I haven't had any issues with the power steering before. I drove it to work, parked, and came out at the end of the day to leave. When I started the car, this message was on the dash. I tried turning the car off, waiting, and turning back on after a bit but message is still there.

I've done a little Googling and saw earlier models had a recall on them for a similiar issue, but it doesn't extend to the 2014. I also saw it could need a replacement of the steering column or other pricey issues. Are there any smaller things I can look at first that could explain the sudden appearance of this message?

Like I said, I haven't had any issues whatsoever with the steering. I don't know if any of this is pertinent info, but in the last month or so it has had an oil change, new brakes, replaced the intake solenoids, replaced oil pressure sensor, replaced the fuse for the license plate lights, and replaced a wheel bearing assembly.

Oh, also my key broke off from the key fob. When I attempted to start the car without contact with the keyfob, the car wouldn't turn on and the security lock icon came on the dash. I haven't yet replaced the key, just jerryrigged it to the fob.

Any updates? I’m currently having the same problem.

#13 ·
I have a 2014 malibu as well dame notice came on steering is still very good but.. the auto stop keeps turning the car off and on while I was on highway I could steer just fine but that message came up then the locks went up amd down car went out of gear was horrible I am in a parkinglot as I type !! Again 2014 chevy malibu eco v6 .steering is just fine but that message appears then the doors and auto on auto off happens

#6 ·
Hello,

Hello ted7, any answers, my 2014 malibu is doing the same thing, I took it to the shop and the mechanic said it was the alternator(which I didn't agree), brought it home and still doing the same issue. The next day I was going to take it to him to get fixed and it didn't turn on at all, lights and everything works, just won't turn on and it only clicks when trying to turn it on. If anyone has an answer please help. TYIA.

#7 ·
That ted7 post is from 2019, doubt he will respond.
Your car has electric powered steering assist. If the alternator is not charging properly then steering will be affected. Now that your battery has not been charging properly it doesn't have enough power to turn over the engine to start it.
Definite alternator / charging system problems.

Reactions: DrivenDaily
#8 ·
Hello,

I’m having the same issue but my gear light going out on me and it’s drivable.I’m not having any problems with my powering steering but it’s showing on the dashboard ? Then when I turn on my car and the check engine light comes on it has a click noise

#9 ·
We will need some info to get started. Unfortunately, this particular discussion has been a magnet for 1 time posts with little info and no follow-up. Perhaps with some info we can break that streak! This post explains what we need to know:

Reactions: vman
#16 ·
Well..yes amd no it needed a battery i made rhe mistake of allowing a auto tech at local automoarts store install it where as the dealership or a chevy mechanic should be who does this it worked fine for 2 days..turned out he put the wrong battery in the car got another one amd then it did it again.
Watch the voltage on message board and when it lows ro 12.5 that's when this usually starts .I need a alternator. So..Monday to dealership.they are so busy it's just hard to get in but it's worth the wait because I have spent 2 times the amount had i Went to dealership !

#17 ·
Well..yes amd no it needed a battery i made rhe mistake of allowing a auto tech at local automoarts store install it where as the dealership or a chevy mechanic should be who does this it worked fine for 2 days..turned out he put the wrong battery in the car got another one amd then it did it again.
Watch the voltage on message board and when it lows ro 12.5 that's when this usually starts .I need a alternator. So..Monday to dealership.they are so busy it's just hard to get in but it's worth the wait because I have spent 2 times the amount had i Went to dealership !
Did the new alternator solve the service power steering light coming on and the doors licking and unlocking?

#26 ·
My car is a 2014 Chevy Malibu LS over 166,000 miles and it has the same error. I noticed it started when I used a phone charger in the car that had a short in it. Does anyone know where the fuse is located for the power steering? I have seen several videos but non specific to the 2014 model every model but this one.

#23 ·
I have the exact same thing 2014 Chevy malibu But mines also says park assist off with the the service power steering locks unlock and locks on its own my car still runs tho but now it also shows check engine light and my dash for the gars won’t light up it also jumps when I put it in reverse and drive does anyone has a solution yet?? Lisa

#27 ·
You may have 3 fuse boxes, but 2 for sure. One is under the hood near the battery, one is under the center console on the passenger's side behind a removable cover. If you have a third, it should be in the trunk behind the carpeting, most likely on the left (driver's) side. Look for a little handle that'll let you open a door made of the carpeting.

If you have the owner's manual or can find one online, it might make things easier on finding where the specific fuse is that you're looking for.