Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Chevy Malibu I have had to jump my battery to start. The first time I opened the door manually and put the key in the ignition and the radio came on and dome lights were barely on. The 2nd time my windshield wipers were barely going back in forth and I couldn’t get my key out of the ignition until I charged the battery. Btw I did not use my windshield wipers at all the day before. My battery is 2 1/2 years old. ?????

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,766 Posts
You may have bought it 2½ years ago, but the date code on it may say that it's older than that.

Even if it's not, things fail, and a battery with a bad cell or some other internal defect could be the issue.

When the voltage level drops below a critical point, it can mess with the electronics, causing all sorts of seemingly unrelated things to happen. That is likely what happened with your wipers wiping when you didn't command them to wipe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may have bought it 2½ years ago, but the date code on it may say that it's older than that.

Even if it's not, things fail, and a battery with a bad cell or some other internal defect could be the issue.

When the voltage level drops below a critical point, it can mess with the electronics, causing all sorts of seemingly unrelated things to happen. That is likely what happened with your wipers wiping when you didn't command them to wipe.
Thank you. I was thinking it must be the battery. I never thought about the date . 🤦🏻‍♀️

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,488 Posts
Also, if you didn't buy a factory spec battery--aka the cheap ones--they do not last nearly as long as the original.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts