Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a good rain, I noticed an inch or so of water in the spare tire well. Any ideas how the rain is getting in the trunk? The trunk lid appears to be sealing well and the gray cover (that you lift up) is only wet on the bottom, on the left and right sides.

Thank you !

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,379 Posts
Any ideas how the rain is getting in the trunk?
From the outside through a gap of some kind... haha.

Grab a helper, climb in the trunk (or have the helper go in there), shut the lid, then spray gently around the edges and watch for where it comes in. Increase pressure if it doesn't. If it doesn't come in from around the trunk then check the rear doors and rear glass.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It is the pressure relief valve those are the square black flap things on the sides of the quarter panels behind the bumper. If you were to have some one climb inside it while you throw water at it will not do anything I went down that road I even did it with a pressure washer all over the place in the rear twice and only comes into trunk when driving

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,379 Posts
It is the pressure relief valve those are the square black flap things on the sides of the quarter panels behind the bumper. If you were to have some one climb inside it while you throw water at it will not do anything I went down that road I even did it with a pressure washer all over the place in the rear twice and only comes into trunk when driving
Ok I usually see the problem being a seal and havent read much about this leaking pressure release valve thats a bummer are you suggesting something is malfunctioning with the valve that can be fixed or is this just normal for gen8

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
For water to come into the air pressure relief you would have to be in some deep water. That's why they are behind bumper cover and shielded from any spray conditions.
Bad crash repair causes strange leaks also.
Tail light nuts tight ? That can be a source when water runs down back panel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the suggestions. Now I need to find the time to do some investigating. Crawling into the trunk sounds like fun...not. Maybe after I fold down the back seats ?

The leak is coming from under the left side carpet cover, below the aux. battery, where carpet meets the steel. I did find a huge rubber plug that the trunk release wire went through and it was not seated properly. The hole for the wire is too big so a great amount of tape was wrapped around the wire to fill the void in the hole. Kinda funny really.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,637 Posts
Do you happen to have any modifications in the trunk, such as a sub-woofer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
After a good rain, I noticed an inch or so of water in the spare tire well. Any ideas how the rain is getting in the trunk? The trunk lid appears to be sealing well and the gray cover (that you lift up) is only wet on the bottom, on the left and right sides.

Thank you !
I own 2016 Malibu bought new few month i received a recall about this problem: some 2016 chevy malibu vehicles may have a condition where water may leak in into the center high mount stop lamp(CHMSL) possibly causing a wet headliner or water in the spare tire well. contact your chevy dealer it should be fixed free

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I own 2016 Malibu bought new few month i received a recall about this problem: some 2016 chevy malibu vehicles may have a condition where water may leak in into the center high mount stop lamp(CHMSL) possibly causing a wet headliner or water in the spare tire well. contact your chevy dealer it should be fixed free
My third brake light is mounted on my trunk lid and doesn't seem to be my water inlet.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Does this car have a sunroof ? If so may be a roof drain issue. There are 4 drain tubes that go down the front A pillars and the rear C pillars.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, UPDATE. Ever since I fixed the big rubber doughnut seal, with a wire going through it, I haven't had a drop of water enter the spare tire well. We have had several rain storms, some severe, and NO water leak.
The water on the side by the battery must have sloshed in there giving me a false leak location. Sure glad that bs is over with. Thank you to all that posted suggestions!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts