Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving my 2015 Chevy Malibu It all the sudden Would not go forward I had no power I tried to go into reverse I could not go into reverse! Had it towed home an hour later my car was fine! What could possibly be going wrong with my car?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Any lights on the dash? Have you had your car scanned for codes? It's imperative that you have your car scanned with a ODB scanner that is capable of reading all modules on your vehicle. The scanner they use at your local auto parts store will not likely do the job. In an event such as you described, there are surely going to be codes on the vehicle that will point you in the right direction. And you should probably not take any solace in the fact that an hour later the car was fine - whatever triggered your even will more than likely occur again. It's best to have the codes scanned and figure out what went wrong rather than get stranded again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Any lights on the dash? Have you had your car scanned for codes? It's imperative that you have your car scanned with a ODB scanner that is capable of reading all modules on your vehicle. The scanner they use at your local auto parts store will not likely do the job. In an event such as you described, there are surely going to be codes on the vehicle that will point you in the right direction. And you should probably not take any solace in the fact that an hour later the car was fine - whatever triggered your even will more than likely occur again. It's best to have the codes scanned and figure out what went wrong rather than get stranded again.
There were no dash lights on! How long does it usually take to scan? I had a mechanic say he was scanning it and running test and he said he didn’t find anything after having my car all day long for hours upon hours saying he was scanning it that’s why I’m asking how long does it take to scan it! He charged me $200 and I got absolutely no answers on what might be wrong.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,430 Posts
Scanning for codes shouldn't take more than a few minutes, but if a tech is trying to find out what's going on based on a description by a customer, they could be at it for some time, including test drives. Time is money, and most shops don't scan for free. Neither do doctors, even if they find nothing wrong.

The CEL doesn't have to be on for there to be codes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
While I agree with @DrivenDaily , however, if there's one thing these vehicles do well, it's monitor themselves. In my experience, my vehicle can hardly have a hiccup without a code or two being generated. Never mind the scenario you are describing which sounds something akin to limp mode - I would be willing to bet my last $100 that in such a scenario there is little chance there were no codes. Look, I'm not trying to cast doubt on your mechanic (or maybe I am), but to steal from the Dr. analogy, if it were me, I might be looking for a second opinion at this point. In the town I live, there is one repair shop, the next nearest one is 50 miles away, they do great work, a couple of hard working and honest guys just trying to feed their families, but they charge top dollar. Their labor rate is right up there with the dealerships. They have signs prominently displayed in their shop "Vehicle Scans $45". If I had gone there with a perfectly running car and your description of an event, they would have scanned the vehicle and handed me a full printout of every code they found with descriptions. Their next sentence would be something like "your problem might be this, this or that, would you like us to troubleshoot?" And they would have given me a fuzzy estimate of how long that might take.

In any event, you're in a tough spot in that your vehicle is running fine now, and you apparently have no vehicle codes to even give you a clue. Seems to me your options are:
1. Wait for it to happen again (not the best choice considering your issue causes you to be stranded)
2. Get a second opinion (probably best choice at this stage)
3. For this issue and any future events, invest in your own meter which can read all the modules in your vehicle and don't leave home without it. Plenty of affordable options, many of which are discussed on this forum, many far less than what you paid your mechanic to diagnose your current issue. I finally broke down and bought one - the best money I have every spent - paid for itself the first time I needed it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,221 Posts
In a no forward no reverse scenario the only way there are no codes is an electrical failure or storage failure. It didn't even have power to write/store the code. The way I read post one there was no forward, no reverse, no power at all. I would actually need more description of what occured leading up to the problem. Was this car in Auto Stop and failed to restart? Does it even have Auto Stop or is it the 3LT with turbo motor?

A second opinion is a good idea.

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Registered
65 Posts
Agree with @campb292 . Reading between the lines of OP, the fact that she was trying drive/reverse and "it just wouldn't go" leads me to believe the vehicle was running, but it just wouldn't go (limp mode??) In any event, I agree there is zero chance, in this scenario, that there are no codes.

Also agree with @campb292 that a better description of your event would be helpful and an hour later when the car was fine, did you need to jump it or did it turn over and start as usual?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts