Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 2015 Malibu LT with the 2.5. Someone did not want this car to run. All of the relays were removed along with several fuses.

I’ve replaced everything to get power back to the car along with new main and aux batteries.

I only have a single blade key, no FOB. The key will allow the ignition to turn but nothing happens. I have a solid Theft Deterrent light and Service Theft Deterrent System message. I’ve tried the 10-15 minute thing with the key but no luck. I’m wondering if there is a process I’m doing wrong, if I need a FOB programmed to make the TDS work, or if it is the ignition switch.
One last thing that leads me to believe it is the TDS, I can’t shift out of park. I popped the hood and disconnected the linkage to pull it home in Neutral. Seems like a TDS feature to not allow someone to shift out of Park as it would make it hard to roll without doing what I did and manually shifting to Neutral after disconnecting the cable on the transmission.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
It needs a full, all 4 code families code scan to see what the system is doing / reporting. Without a full scan of the P, U, C and B codes first there no way to tell what's going on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
B269A
P16D0
P0068
P16CF
P2097

None of these should keep the ignition from cranking. I’m going to stop by the dealer today to see about getting a new key(s). Hopefully I can program a new FOB utilizing the existing cut mey that I have. It really seems like the TDS is prevent it from cranking and I can’t get the solid padlock to go away after multiple attempts at the 10 minute cycle. When I bought it, I was only given a single metal key without a FOB.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I fixed it. It was easier than I expected.

1. I called the dealer and was told they could cut a new key for $80. I bought 2 new keys with blank FOBs and was sent home with instructions.

2. After the 3rd 10 minute cycle of the learning process, the Theft icon flashed instead of going out. At this point I tried to start the car anyway with no result.

3. I was pretty bummed and felt defeated but opted to start the whole cycle again. This time when I began the 2nd 10 minute cycle, the Theft light did not come back on. So…..I tried to crank the car and it fired right up!

4. I verified that all functions work. I was even surprised that it does have remote start.

Now, I just need to troubleshoot why it won’t shift out of park. I’ll likely do the bypass until I can research the fix further. I still need new tires before I can even drive it around the yard anyway as one is off the rim and the other is the donut.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts