Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when it rains it pours. Now in addition to the fuel pressure codes that I believe I'll need to replace the high pressure fuel pump to fix, since the pressure regulator is part of the pump and not individually replaceable, the transmission has pretty much shelled itself. The fluid is burnt to the point it looks more like motor oil, the shifts are often horrible and now it seems to be slipping in the lower gears. So in the interests of getting it back up quickly, I found a reasonably priced transmission out of a 2015 Regal with 30,000 miles on it.

So my questions are is there anything I should do anything to the 'new' transmission beyond fluid/filter before I install it (Transgo, etc) and can anyone confirm if I'll need to swap the TCM/VB from the original transmission over to the 'new' one due to the TCM's being 'married' to their original vehicles, or is there a procedure for the TCM that'll allow it to be paired to a new vehicle? It seems many newer modules can't be re-used in other vehicles as once they're paired, it doesn't seem possible to re-pair to another vehicle. The HVAC module I installed from a wrecked car is throwing a mismatch DTC, but it's not stopping anything from functioning. A TCM with a mismatch might prevent the car from starting and/or operating properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
At any rate, does anyone have any helpful information related to swapping the TCM (Can a module be 'divorced' from the previous vehicle and 'married' to the new one via TIS - I have a MDI2 so anything TIS related is no problem - or is is a 'write once and done' situation where I need to swap the TCM/VB from the original trans for everything to work), as well as if there are any 'known issues' that should be addressed before I install the 'new' one (Transgo isn't just about 'performance' - sometimes there are issues found with transmissions that manufacturers either can't, or most likely won't address properly, and companies like Transgo find ways to FIX the issue, rather than deal with constant part replacement).

I know with my truck, I could swap the TCM all day and it wouldn't care. VIN doesn't even have to match. But with the new security that seems to be in the newer vehicles, along with the HVAC module complaining about a mismatch, I'm not sure what to expect with swapping a TCM. And if I need to swap the TCM to keep everything happy, I'd MUCH rather do it with both transmissions out of the vehicle. If anyone has any helpful information, I'd appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Since you have a MDI try searching gm-techlink.com . for any bulletin's or info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts