Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First appearing about a month ago while driving on the interstate. The stabilitrak, brake and abs indicators all came on at once while going about 75mph. I've previously (18 months prior) replaced the passenger rear hub (all for the cheap magnetic broken wheel sensor) inside. I'm guessing something similar, but not exact is happening to another wheel now. The lights after coming on initially seemed to self resolve when the vehicle was turned off, but continue to reappear anytime I hit 75mph. I am assuming this is a sensor issue, instead of a broken hub ring (or whatever it is called.) Car currently has just under 95k.

Few questions:
  1. Any ideas on how I might troubleshoot which wheel is causing the issue? I don't recall how I determined the last one, but I feel like a dealer told me since I was there on warranty work. (Don't really want to revisit a dealer..)
  2. How can I determine if this is a sensor issue or wheel ring issue?
  3. Any suggested fixes (obviously I need to solve #1 first.)
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Pull the codes. If your gonna wrench on your own car a code reader that can read all 4 code families is the first tool you need. Without codes you are just throwing darts and wasting money on parts.

Reactions: imidazol97

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pull the codes. If your gonna wrench on your own car a code reader that can read all 4 code families is the first tool you need. Without codes you are just throwing darts and wasting money on parts.
I have a code reader, it is one of the cheaper ones, it does bluetooth from the device to my phone.

The only lights that are on with this issue are the ABS, Stabilitrack and Brake lights. Are you suggesting a better reader may be able to read a code that is not showing up for me? Have any recommendations?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,733 Posts
I have a code reader, it is one of the cheaper ones, it does bluetooth from the device to my phone.

The only lights that are on with this issue are the ABS, Stabilitrack and Brake lights. Are you suggesting a better reader may be able to read a code that is not showing up for me? Have any recommendations?
There are others out there, but I bought the BlueDriver for $100 and the app is free. It reads all 4 families.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are others out there, but I bought the BlueDriver for $100 and the app is free. It reads all 4 families.
Thanks so much for the recommendation. I previously had a cheap ($20) reader and just bought the BlueDriver. (If anyone else is reading this and needs a recommendation-buy it.) Very impressed with usability and to be honest, I didn't know that codes even existed beyond indicator lights for the other families.

Was able to clear off my TPMS lights on by other car that have been steadily flashing for 2 years!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts