Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Malibu has 117k, and has a mysterious, and slight popping noise thats gradually getting worse as time goes on. This occurs particularly when turning right from a stop. A little background information: I recently replaced front struts and mounts at 112k, after hearing a slight clunk and knew it was due. NOW, when turning (from a stop) or just turning the wheel back and fourth you can hear AND feel a slight pop in the wheel and the brake. I have taken this to two different shops thinking it was maybe a tie rod or brushing and was told everything checked out and the car was in excellent condition under there. I did replicate the popping noise for the mechanic The second time, he laughed and said thats just some spring recoil and I’m going to go blue in the face trying to find it. I’m thinking maybe this has to be something related to the steering If its not a tie rod? any insight would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Spray some lube into the springs seats top an bottom and test, sound goes away then that's it.
Could be a ball joint or tie rod end getting tight and starting to go but no easy way to check them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: after much digging I discovered that my brand new upper strut bearings / mounts are bad. Back in March we replaced all this, so was not really thinking a part could be faulty. The bearInns inside would pop when pivoting creating this popping sound when turning. Hope this helps anyone experiencing this in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
And what brand did your mechanic install ?

Reactions: SilverSport
1 - 5 of 5 Posts