Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been an ongoing issue. Car has spent three days at the dealer so far. First intake and exhaust sensors were replaced at Pep Boys because the dealer couldn't get the car in anytime soon. Problem came back again in a couple days. Took it to the dealer who had it all day and couldn't find a problem. Said if they don't have a code or can't replicate there is nothing they can do. Car started having the issues for me that very night. I recorded it with the phone and they were able to get it in again two days later. Again they found nothing wrong and sent it home. Next day it stalls in an intersection while my wife is driving and engine light finally came on. They worked it in and replaced the rocker arm sensor under warranty. Very nice. Here we are a week later and its stalling again. It does it during the Start/stop at lights primarily. Put it in park turn the key and it starts right back up. Thursday morning I called the dealer and was told they cant see it till Tuesday. Also told if there is no engine light or problem can't be replicated they won't be able to fix it. I drove the car today and no problems, yesterday stalled three times. My wife wants to go visit the Honda dealer this weekend. :(

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,967 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
I had stalling issues like that before. In MY case it was the evap canister purge valve. But don't just go changing it based on what i say.
Also can someone clearup what a "rocker arm sensor "is...... in all my years I have never heard that term before.

Also.... installing a catch can in your vacuum system is a great idea to get water out of your system and is getting more important as we use more ethanol in our fuels.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,533 Posts
Here we are a week later and its stalling again. It does it during the Start/stop at lights primarily.
Has anyone checked the auxillary or even primary battery? I would actually think this is more electrical if the primary factor is occurrence during an auto stop/start process. Connections and grounds maybe even aux battery itself?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update! The engine light has come on again. Car has been getting worse, stalling more. Dealer now says its the fuse block on the secondary battery. Part is ordered and should be fixed tomorrow. I have my doubts but we will see. Really considering trading it in.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Update! The engine light has come on again. Car has been getting worse, stalling more. Dealer now says its the fuse block on the secondary battery. Part is ordered and should be fixed tomorrow. I have my doubts but we will see. Really considering trading it in.
Any idea what code it was throwing?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I have been having the same issue, did this fix it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, did this fix your problem? I am having the same issues with a 2014 Malibu. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,533 Posts
@Jbush31 and @Jrspawn: You may want to elaborate on your issue and include your year/engine. The user you have quoted, @Fred, hasn't been back in months and didn't even respond to JonnyAbs six months ago. It is possible my tagging will spark some much needed courtesy and life back into Fred but I wouldn't count on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 Chevy Malibu 2.5 l Dohc with 97,000 miles, that for a few months now stalls when stopped. It seems to be the auto start. It starts right back up. Sometimes After it stalls the check engine light comes on and throws p0106, p015b and p0171. We replaced the map sensor, 02 upstream sensor. It runs fine for a week or two then same thing happens, it stalls out And throws the same codes. Any idea what else to look at. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Engine-Codes.com will give you some suggestions on what causes each code. Did you use factory replacement parts on the sensors you replaced ? Non original equipment parts cause more problems than they are worth when it comes to sensors as they fail quickly or even work when new and just make repairs way more difficult.

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Registered
3 Posts
2015 Malibu 119k miles. I have done tune up, replaced the cam shaft sensor, oxygen sensor, the intake and exhaust valves, main battery, auxiliary battery, and had the dealership reset and upgrade the computer. I am still having rough idle while my foot is on the brake at stops. The car is still hesitating at times....anyone know what else it could possibly be? There is a horrible vibration when my foot is on the brake and the car is in drive.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,533 Posts
Hello @Bridgett and welcome. Have the mounts inspected. Other than that, can you expand on "hesitation"? Is this the 2.5L or 2.0T? Also, did you replace or attempt to clean the intake valves? Your post reads as though they were replaced which I thought was very expensive.

·
Registered
145 Posts
2015 Malibu 119k miles. I have done tune up, replaced the cam shaft sensor, oxygen sensor, the intake and exhaust valves, main battery, auxiliary battery, and had the dealership reset and upgrade the computer. I am still having rough idle while my foot is on the brake at stops. The car is still hesitating at times....anyone know what else it could possibly be? There is a horrible vibration when my foot is on the brake and the car is in drive.
You could try cleaning the throttle body or maybe something on the accessory belt is creating resistance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The valves replaced were the actuator valves or vvt. The hesitation is when I let my foot off the brake or go up hills. No check engine light is on and it is a 2.5.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The valves replaced were the actuator valves or vvt. The hesitation is when I let my foot off the brake or go up hills. No check engine light is on and it is a 2.5.
The mounts have been inspected and one needed replaced which has been done also.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,533 Posts
Knowing the additional info, I would start with @JonnyAbs suggestion of cleaning the throttle body then check into cleaning the intake valves.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,967 Posts
Look up information about issues with intake valves on direct injection engines. Learning about that will help you now and down the road. You can also ask a trusted mechanic about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has been an ongoing issue. Car has spent three days at the dealer so far. First intake and exhaust sensors were replaced at Pep Boys because the dealer couldn't get the car in anytime soon. Problem came back again in a couple days. Took it to the dealer who had it all day and couldn't find a problem. Said if they don't have a code or can't replicate there is nothing they can do. Car started having the issues for me that very night. I recorded it with the phone and they were able to get it in again two days later. Again they found nothing wrong and sent it home. Next day it stalls in an intersection while my wife is driving and engine light finally came on. They worked it in and replaced the rocker arm sensor under warranty. Very nice. Here we are a week later and its stalling again. It does it during the Start/stop at lights primarily. Put it in park turn the key and it starts right back up. Thursday morning I called the dealer and was told they cant see it till Tuesday. Also told if there is no engine light or problem can't be replicated they won't be able to fix it. I drove the car today and no problems, yesterday stalled three times. My wife wants to go visit the Honda dealer this weekend. :(
Did you find out what was causing this mine is doing the same thing. They can't figure out what it is and the code when it comes on keeps saying its an O2 sensor but we have replaced that now three times its good for a few days then does it again.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts