Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2016 1.5 Turbo Malibu LT modded Engine Blew 62,500miles

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  campb292 
#1 ·
For the past month I've have been getting the code for cylinder 1 misfire here and there. But it has been burning oil like crazy but I have always been on top of it. Also Ive noticed blowby when removing oil filler cap.
So within 5mins of my check engine light coming on from my way home from work yesterday the engine blew I mean it looked like the car was on fire then it showed engine coolant at 300+ and service battery charging system. Car has about 63000. I purchased it from CARMAX about 11months ago with 46000miles on it. I know I purchase the extended warranty my only concerns that I need answered are...
I have the K&N CAI installed, should I remove that before I take it in?
Also will they be able to see the trifecta tune I have on the vehicle?
Also I modified the exhaust with performance resonator/spin-tech muffler. Also a upgraded stereo system with all new wiring.
My question is will all these upgrades effect my warranty eligibility?

#2 ·
I'm sorry to read of the troubles.

This all depends on the extended warranty contract terms. It is possible your contract allows for modification in accordance with Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. That allows coverage as long as the modification didn't contribute to the failure. Unfortunately, most contracts don't allow for modification.

Whether you return the car to stock or take in as is depends on how much fraud you are interested in considering you just publicly posted the mileage, year, trim and engine along with condition and existence of extended warranty. If the extended warranty/service contract administrator does a loss prevention investigation over the next few months when reviewing a possible paid claim, now they have easily searchable info on all the mods. If you remove the tune, K&N, stereo/speakers/wiring, and exhaust mods they have a case that you intentionally misrepresented the car for a claim. If you leave it all on you present the car honestly as used and they cover it or deny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.