Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
2016 Malibu LIMITED trunk leak. My second trip to dealership. I try ro explain whta i have seen on here, and both visits i was told there is no recall. Stay tuned...
1/6/19. Sr advisor informed me that i would have to pay diagnostics. Once issue found, they would fix. Taking car back to auto body shop where second diagnostics was done. Going to ask them to take out drivers tail lights to check the screws. Since then. My floor boards also wet. So disappointed in this car. It’s difficult to accept i have two more years payments on this thing that i dont enjoy driving. Hopefullt auto body shop will help me get all these water issues resolved. They have another customer with same thing happening.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2016 Malibu LT. My leak came from the third high mount brake light. PLEASE see the TSB on this issue. The dealer wanted $150 diagnosis fee, even though they're aware of the issue. Thanks to this forum, I learned about the Technical Service Bulletin. My MF warranty expired and Ext warranty did not cover the water leak. I purchased the replacement nuts, GM part #11602012 for $3.60 (set of 4). My mechanic replaced the defective nuts. Job took only a few minutes. No more leaking!
I looked for that part number but it says it only fits the Chevy Cruze, not the malibu, is 11602012 the right part number? https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-high-mount-lamp-nut-11602012

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a '16 Malibu Premier and just found a lot of standing water in my trunk. Fortunately it didn't get into the cabin or stain the headliner. I pulled the rear headliner and only checked two of the four nuts to find one almost half way walked of it's stud.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2016 Malibu LT. Worst of all, I bought it from the dealer used and I know that they experienced the same issue when they were driving it. They did nothing to fix the problem and now it is my problem. I will take it back to them, but I do not have high expectations on what is going to happen. I will hope for the best. If anyone has had any luck on getting GM to pay for this mistake that they made, let me know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had mine at the dealer today same issue, crazy to think 4 bolts at the cost 1.98 are costing them over 1600.00 in repairs, getting new headliner and high mount stop replaced thank God I was still under warrenty, if you are wondering if this is the cause of a stained headliner by rear window or have water in your trunk, just press on your high mount break light at the top of your rear window, mine was so loose it moved up and down with each press, there should be no movement at all just F. Y.I., crazy Chevy has not done a recall on this

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have A Chevy Malibu 16 as well and noticed that I had leak marks in the back part of my headliner where the third break light is. I took my vehicle to my near by Chevy dealer and they stated "No Recall" but the break light panel is faulty. They replaced and fixed it said they would clean the headliner. Picked up my car Wednesday and the headliner was worst than when I dropped it off. Now I'm back to the dealer now. They are wanting to clean it again but it really needs to be replaced.
I just wanted to know if anyone ever got this problem fixed. I had auntie nation Chevy fox this twice and both times have failed. Now my car isn’t in warranty and they are willing to pay half of expenses to repair it but I feel it should be guaranteed the last 2 times they fixed it and 100% covered .. I really want to trade my car in now

·
Super Moderator
1,831 Posts
I just wanted to know if anyone ever got this problem fixed. I had auntie nation Chevy fox this twice and both times have failed. Now my car isn’t in warranty and they are willing to pay half of expenses to repair it but I feel it should be guaranteed the last 2 times they fixed it and 100% covered .. I really want to trade my car in now
Before continuing, please read this:

If the issue you refer to is the loosening of fasteners on the center high mount stop lamp, there is a bulletin and updated fasteners. The bulletin is from a long time ago, 2017 I think. I have read a report of a dealer ignoring, or at least not searching, the bulletin and just tightening the existing fasteners as a fix. I have yet to read a report, and I have read dozens, of the new fasteners/nuts failing and the leak returning. I'd be happy to offer advice if you supply more detail of the problem and what has been done so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So the first time they replaced head liner , a seal and I believe back window. The 2nd time they replaced the seal, cleaned headliner and sent me home .. a year later which is now it’s still leaking and they are saying they will pay so much but I need to pay $100 since it’s not under warranty, I’ve been reading other comments and I feel no one has really got this problem solved. And now it’s making a rattling noise. Plus a driving assistant message keeps popping up .. it’s one thing after another

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,831 Posts
@TaylorP

Everyone who has had the leaking center high mount stop light leak, and had it fixed properly via the bulletin, had a successful repair. It sounds like this dealer is ignoring the bulletin process - that or you have a different leak. On your service records, what part numbers do they indicate?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just scheduled an appointment at my Chevy service center to address my water leak issue (water in trunk, back window, headliner). Ironically, I received a notice from Chevrolet the same day I scheduled the appointment that there is an issue and it is covered under warranty up to 72,000 miles.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts