Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just blow it up!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2016 Chevy Malibu 1LT currently has 128K miles on it and I just gotta say, that I am thankful for avoiding all the issues the whole time people have experienced with this car. I have never had a recall on it, while someone who I know has had 6 recalls on her car. That being said I daily abuse this car as my truck as well and all round go getter so she has a few scuffs. I bought it new back in September of 2016 and have been the sole owner and driver.

The surprising things that I have only done is 2 sets of tires, and oil changes. I have never replaced anything else on this car and I put an average of 30K miles a year on my car. My original brakes are low but still going and the original tires lasted me to about 60K miles.

That being said transmission is starting to slip, and I just don't trust this car anymore to drive daily so I was going to sell it. Dealerships will only give me $6,000 for it and to me that's not worth it. I was thinking about LS swapping it just for the hell of it because I am sure not many people have done it, if at all. So curious on what you would do? Reading some older forms it looks like it would be a pain to get the engine rotated sideways and a compatible transmission to even work.

Let me know what you think below!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,221 Posts
If you want to avoid risk, moving on from the car to a different car (either new or certified used) is a good idea. Lots of things can start going on any car beyond 130k. I wouldn't waste time doing any engine swap especially to a larger engine - the suspension isn't strong enough, electronics are all wrong. Taking $6k is all about balance. Is that worthy as a down payment on a replacement car? Or is the money just not enough to offset riding with it longer? Once upon a time I was 100% going to drop my 2016 1LT just prior to my service contract expiring at 110k. Since my car is only worth about 7k, it just isn't enough money to make me jump. If something catastrophic happens I'll just move on as 7k just isn't that major to me. Money's money I value money but paid off car is probably more valuable than the 7k would be to me.

Anyway, glad to read you made it to almost 130,000 miles with no major problems. If the transmission is starting to slip you might want to have fluid changed and level checked. You could also try having the adaptives reset after. If it is going you might want to move on. But if it is just behind on maintenance it might be worth doing it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i cant really give you any input but , i had a 2016 1lt , traded at 60000 in febuary to a 2021 rs , the 2016 was an incredible car compared to the 2021 , i currently get 5 to 8 mpg less , the ride isnt as good , the driver seat is less comfortable ,and the new cvt transmission i feel ruins the car but i dont have to worry about the lspi piston problems and the shift to park issues that were starting to arise , you could try changing the transmission fluid and see if that helps your current issues

·
Registered
13 Posts
Try changing the transmission fluid and see what happens. If the slip is intermittent then it might just need some TLC.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So my 2016 Chevy Malibu 1LT currently has 128K miles on it and I just gotta say, that I am thankful for avoiding all the issues the whole time people have experienced with this car. I have never had a recall on it, while someone who I know has had 6 recalls on her car. That being said I daily abuse this car as my truck as well and all round go getter so she has a few scuffs. I bought it new back in September of 2016 and have been the sole owner and driver.

The surprising things that I have only done is 2 sets of tires, and oil changes. I have never replaced anything else on this car and I put an average of 30K miles a year on my car. My original brakes are low but still going and the original tires lasted me to about 60K miles.

That being said transmission is starting to slip, and I just don't trust this car anymore to drive daily so I was going to sell it. Dealerships will only give me $6,000 for it and to me that's not worth it. I was thinking about LS swapping it just for the hell of it because I am sure not many people have done it, if at all. So curious on what you would do? Reading some older forms it looks like it would be a pain to get the engine rotated sideways and a compatible transmission to even work.

It sounds like you love the car so repair/ restore as you’re able & maybe get a used car to beat up on. My Brother has a 2010 Kia Forte w/ 250k miles on it-he used to put like 30k annual miles also & always used a synthetic/blend. Just another option

·
Registered
6 Posts

First thing you should do is change the transmission fluid (but do not flush!) with Valvoline Max Life full synthetic. This stuff is amazing and may fix your shifting problem if the damage is not extensive. I have it my Malibu along with the other cars. My Mercedes was not shifting well at 135 K and I replaced the fluid and the problem went away. Never shifted better! A gallon of Valvoline at Walmart is only about $16. Best stuff out there.

·
Registered
3 Posts

There’s a lot to be said for a car that’s paid off. I bought a certified used 2014 LT with 20K and it’s now has 120K miles on it and it’s on the second set of tires. I traded in a 2010 Malibu and ultimately they went with the trade in value that Auto Trader gave me which was $700 more then they first The power train warranty covered the rocker arm and cam replacement—I think that had been a recall issue. Otherwise it’s been excellent. It gets 30-32mpg on the open road—it probably would be better if I didn’t live in the mountains. The prices of cars are really going up. The unavailability of chips is slowing down production. I’d shop around for a reliable transmission shop or mechanic and get estimates before buying a new car.

Especially now that the prices of new and used cars are shooting up. The shortage of chips is slowing down manufacturers. Like yours it’s been great—oil changes and on its second set of tires. Out on the road here in the mountains it gets around 30mph. A check engine light problem turned out to be the rocker arm and cam problem but it was covered by the power train warranty. I never did get a recall notice.

I traded in my 2010 Malibu only because I needed a power seat after back surgery. Auto Trader suggested $4700 trade in value. The dealership offered $700 less but agreed to go with the Auto Trader value when I mentioned it. Maybe there’s a source with a more hopeful trade in value.

I’d shop around for a reliable transmission or auto repair shop and get some estimates first. Unless the repairs on the car cost more than the value of the car and there were signs of more headaches to come, I kept it around for a while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, got the fluid changed out twice now and it still shifts funny. Going to look into transmission repair shops.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2016 1lt that was purchased new add it has 147000 on it. I was one of the lucky few that had to deal with an ECM reprogram and piston replacement. All covered under warranty. I have had to have the peddle assembly and shifter replace. When the dealer quoted me 1100, I said reach out to GM. They did and my bill ended up being $86.00. Since all that, the car has been rock solid. Like you, the only fluids I have changed is the oil. I plan on doing a tranny drain/fill this weekend for the first time. The original breaks are down to about 3mm on the pads but still work like a champ. One nagging item is a knock in the rear end. This is apparently attributed to a stiff ball and/or struts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts