Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Check engine light flashed on whilst driving on highway going 70, got code checked and it was P2097 Catalytic Converter too rich.. I have in mind that the problem is the O2 Sensor. Any one had this code and what would possibly be the problem? Car has 34800 miles

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
There are bulletins for this one and it does involve O2 sensors and an ECM update. The update might not exist anymore, you'd have to check with a dealer as to the vehicle history. I know based on previous posts you got this car used with 33k miles. If you bought certified used or used with a warranty take it in. Perhaps it is even still inside the 3 year/36k window on the bumper to bumper or power train.

As a side note, check the oil level. If high, take it in as these are often overfilled and that can lead to that code. Also see if it smells like fuel. The 2.0T engine has an issue with oil dilution from frequent short trips. In my opinion, I bet the 1.5T can also suffer from this there just haven't been many reports or they haven't figured it out. I notice in your previous discussion you took a 3 mile trip home which would be a short trip.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are bulletins for this one and it does involve O2 sensors and an ECM update. The update might not exist anymore, you'd have to check with a dealer as to the vehicle history. I know based on previous posts you got this car used with 33k miles. If you bought certified used or used with a warranty take it in. Perhaps it is even still inside the 3 year/36k window on the bumper to bumper or power train.

As a side note, check the oil level. If high, take it in as these are often overfilled and that can lead to that code. Also see if it smells like fuel. The 2.0T engine has an issue with oil dilution from frequent short trips. In my opinion, I bet the 1.5T can also suffer from this there just haven't been many reports or they haven't figured it out. I notice in your previous discussion you took a 3 mile trip home which would be a short trip.
I’ve actually did 700 miles in the last 4 days so I’ve definitely been driving it a lot mostly highway. It’s seems to be Emissions related so it should be covered under the Emissions 80k mile warranty. Oil level seems to be fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

i do smell a little fuel smelling it on the dipstick, dipstick is watery like.

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
I would take take it in. Back in 2017 there were a couple owners reporting that code, went through o2 sensor replacement but I don't believe it ever got sorted as GM was still figuring it out. I haven't seen reports since. There was an ECM update back then but I don't see the bulletin referring to it anymore. As for possible oil dilution, usually the oil level will be high when that occurs as the oil mixes with fuel. Though if you are burning a little oil, fuel could balance it back out. That possibility needs professional diagnosis. This could be just a simple sensor issue. Let us know what happens!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would take take it in. Back in 2017 there were a couple owners reporting that code, went through o2 sensor replacement but I don't believe it ever got sorted as GM was still figuring it out. I haven't seen reports since. There was an ECM update back then but I don't see the bulletin referring to it anymore. As for possible oil dilution, usually the oil level will be high when that occurs as the oil mixes with fuel. Though if you are burning a little oil, fuel could balance it back out. That possibility needs professional diagnosis. This could be just a simple sensor issue. Let us know what happens!
Taking it today and will let everyone know outcome.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car has 38k miles and oil is diluted with fuel 200 miles after oil change from dealership for this exact reason... oil dipstick is full up to the top and is obviously mixed with fuel cause oil isn’t as liquidity but more of a thick texture but my dipstick is so liquidity till the point where it drips like water and can’t forget the obvious smell of fuel on the dipstick. TSB claims it’s from short trips but I drive mostly highway and really small amounts of city but even then, why is it even an issue at all? No check engine lights just a runs a little rough when cold.. I would’ve never thought about the issue until my post about the check engine light P2097, (which went away by itself oddly enough) post on the forum I had about a month and a half ago and I was told to check the oil for fuel smells and immediately smelled fuel upon smelling it. Didn’t get a chance to get oil change until Saturday (200 miles) which I decided to wipe the dipstick clean and decided to smell it today 2 days later and the fuel smell is there. Taking it in again today to get diagnosis...

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
Hello @friskfry17. I merged your new discussion into your ongoing discussion since the same issue is in play plus it gives others history.

Thanks for the update. I am curious what they do for this. On the 2.0T with oil dilution they install a redesigned PCV and perform an ECM update per the bulletin but it is limited to that engine. I am not aware of a bulletin or update adding the 1.5. Judging by the lack of "me too" posts in your discussion it doesn't seem very widespread with either engine. I hope they get it figured out for you.

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
If even one piston was cracked, along with any fuel leaking into the oil, there would be an immense amount of blow-by and the engine would likely not even be driveable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just for conversation and assistance: friskyfry 17 how do you know the pistons are fine? Did you have the cylinders scoped? And DrivenDaily I don't know about that. I have read accounts of these cars with small cracks where the car runs rough on cold start up but the smooths out once the engine warms up and the metal expands. I found this out when on 2 occasions my 2018 Malibu 1.5 started up when cold ran rough, threw a code (misfire) but after it ran a few minutes went away when I re-started.Though not one of these I once had a car with a hole in a piston that started and ran. It smoked a lot but I drove it around while I got parts and a junk yard engine for it. Just a thought.

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
@MalibuJames
It's very possible that what you say can happen.

My thought was that if there is enough fuel leaking through a crack to overfill the oil, then there will be blow-by from compression while the engine is running, so the fuel is probably being induced to get there more quickly under pressure rather than just leaking by at a leisurely pace. Plus, for that amount of fuel to get there, it isn't being burned, which is what lead me to think that the engine would be running roughly.

No matter if the car is running poorly or well, the whole issue is fuel in the oil. First they need to figure out how it's getting there so they can then effect a cure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took it to the dealer and they never explained the oil smell problem but said the oil wasn’t overfilled and showed to not check without wiping the dipstick clean first and it came out just right but the smell was still there so I left the problem at that.

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
Thank you for the update. I moved the update from your new discussion to this one to give it some finality. At least they didn't find oil dilution. Wiping the dipstick on first pull is normal as residual oil sticks for the dipstick. Then you get a nice clean level on second removal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.