Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking for a little help on how to fix an issue that I’ve noticed on my car. A few weeks ago, I ran over a branch. I believe it knocked the canister loose. It isn’t touching the ground but it is pretty close. I don’t have any engine/transmission/emission lights on my dash. My car is driving like normal. No changes in the driving abilities. The only issue is that the canister is hanging really low. I suspect that there is a bracket or cover that used to hold it in place. But at some point it must have been knocked off.

I took my car to the Chevy lot and the services department mechanic told me he needed to remove my entire gas tank to figure out what is wrong with my emissions.

BUT THERE IS NOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT! I just need to stop it from hanging under my car (so I don’t damage it). I think he was trying to pull a cash grab on me. There are no leaks, no weird/new sounds, and it doesn’t drive any differently.

Can anyone tell me if there is a bracket, splash shield, cover, or mount that holds this thing in place? I’m sure I can fix it myself. I just need help identifying what holds it in place. I will attach photos of the part and how it looks under the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I am looking for a little help on how to fix an issue that I’ve noticed on my car. A few weeks ago, I ran over a branch. I believe it knocked the canister loose. It isn’t touching the ground but it is pretty close. I don’t have any engine/transmission/emission lights on my dash. My car is driving like normal. No changes in the driving abilities. The only issue is that the canister is hanging really low. I suspect that there is a bracket or cover that used to hold it in place. But at some point it must have been knocked off. I took my car to the Chevy lot and the services department mechanic told me he needed to remove my entire gas tank to figure out what is wrong with my emissions.
BUT THERE IS NOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT! I just need to stop it from hanging under my car (so I don’t damage it). I think he was trying to pull a cash grab on me. There are no leaks, no weird/new sounds, and it doesn’t drive any differently.
Can anyone tell me if there is a bracket, splash shield, cover, or mount that holds this thing in place? I’m sure I can fix it myself. I just need help identifying what holds it in place. I will attach photos of the part and how it looks under the car.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,279 Posts
So I am looking for a little help on how to fix an issue that I’ve noticed on my car. A few weeks ago, I ran over a branch. I believe it knocked the canister loose. It isn’t touching the ground but it is pretty close. I don’t have any engine/transmission/emission lights on my dash. My car is driving like normal. No changes in the driving abilities. The only issue is that the canister is hanging really low. I suspect that there is a bracket or cover that used to hold it in place. But at some point it must have been knocked off.

I took my car to the Chevy lot and the services department mechanic told me he needed to remove my entire gas tank to figure out what is wrong with my emissions.

So I am looking for a little help on how to fix an issue that I’ve noticed on my car. A few weeks ago, I ran over a branch. I believe it knocked the canister loose. It isn’t touching the ground but it is pretty close. I don’t have any engine/transmission/emission lights on my dash. My car is driving like normal. No changes in the driving abilities. The only issue is that the canister is hanging really low. I suspect that there is a bracket or cover that used to hold it in place. But at some point it must have been knocked off. I took my car to the Chevy lot and the services department mechanic told me he needed to remove my entire gas tank to figure out what is wrong with my emissions.
@cimelimo
Are you the same person with a different screen name, or did you just quote the OP and then add a picture?

That is the evap canister hanging down. Fix it, fast!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,133 Posts
Seeing the post by @cimelimo and remembering the exact same post by @Rossdakid a couple days ago I moved them together. I am assuming due to lack of quick responses the 2nd user & post were created to give it a second try. As such, removed user @Rossdakid. If there is another (unlikely) explanation, just send me a message and we can discuss.

As for the Evaporative Emission Canister, the service procedure does call for fuel tank removal for service. The tank is dropped, canister electrical connector disconnected, quick connect fittings disconnected (they are like air compressor type fittings, warning, flammable), then retaining tabs can be released. By the looks of things there, retaining tabs either detached or worse broke totally and you are hanging by a quick connect and/or maybe electrical connector. The tabs lock on to the tank by sliding down which is why the tank has to come off. If that part of the tank broke off from impact, you are looking at a new tank too. Service ASAP. Insurance is a possibility also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts