Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Salutations my fellow Chevy lovers!

I bought a used 2016 Chevy Malibu LT on June 2, 2020. It was purchased as is and there was no additional warranty. After driving it a few days I noticed a really annoying rattle sound coming from the dash behind/underneath the steering wheel area. The noise is intermittent, it usually starts around 30 mph while accelerating. Sometimes it gets louder the faster I go, if I let off the gas the noise quiets. However, it comes right back as soon as I accelerate. Other times its quiet, no rattle sound. I've done a bunch of research and found that a lot of folks say it its the Cowl Grille on the exterior of the windshield that gets loose and causes the vibration sound. I'm skeptical of this because the sound seems to come from the interior and not the exterior. I also speculate it would be more consistent of a noise if it was the cowl. I did check this on my car and the clips are in place and only wiggles a tiny bit, but the motion is with the rubber gasket around the cowl that slides against the windshield itself.

In addition to that suggestion, I found other information about a hose under the hood, near the tranny fluid reservoir, that another consumer said theirs vibrated like crazy and so they took a makeshift clip of some kind and attached it to another hose nearby and stopped the vibration--They said that fixed their rattle sound.
I decided to check the hose on my car and found it was "loose" or rather not secure to anything nearby. So I carefully used some adhesive to attach a magnet to the hose which allowed it to be held in place by the metal frame of the engine. It almost completely stopped the hose from vibrating visually. However, that did not fix the rattle noise problem inside the vehicle.

So today I took some recordings and am creating this thread in hopes someone can assist me with diagnosing the problem.

Here are the recordings I took:
2016 Chevy Malibu Rattle Sound
(Part 2) 2016 Chevy Malibu Rattle Sound

These are the links to all the websites I visited trying to figure out what the heck is causing this sound:
DASH RATTLE 2016 Malibu
2016 malibu interior noise | Chevrolet Malibu Forums
2016 dash noise - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums
I have this rattling noise behind the dashboard - 2006 Chevrolet Malibu
2006 Malibu LT Dash Rattle.
2006 Chevrolet Malibu Rattle Noise In Dash: 16 Complaints

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
If I wanted to hear a rattle sound in my car, I'd get knocked up and have another baby.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,946 Posts
Salutations my fellow Chevy lovers!

I bought a used 2016 Chevy Malibu LT on June 2, 2020. It was purchased as is and there was no additional warranty. After driving it a few days I noticed a really annoying rattle sound coming from the dash behind/underneath the steering wheel area. The noise is intermittent, it usually starts around 30 mph while accelerating. Sometimes it gets louder the faster I go, if I let off the gas the noise quiets. However, it comes right back as soon as I accelerate. Other times its quiet, no rattle sound. I've done a bunch of research and found that a lot of folks say it its the Cowl Grille on the exterior of the windshield that gets loose and causes the vibration sound. I'm skeptical of this because the sound seems to come from the interior and not the exterior. I also speculate it would be more consistent of a noise if it was the cowl. I did check this on my car and the clips are in place and only wiggles a tiny bit, but the motion is with the rubber gasket around the cowl that slides against the windshield itself.

In addition to that suggestion, I found other information about a hose under the hood, near the tranny fluid reservoir, that another consumer said theirs vibrated like crazy and so they took a makeshift clip of some kind and attached it to another hose nearby and stopped the vibration--They said that fixed their rattle sound.
I decided to check the hose on my car and found it was "loose" or rather not secure to anything nearby. So I carefully used some adhesive to attach a magnet to the hose which allowed it to be held in place by the metal frame of the engine. It almost completely stopped the hose from vibrating visually. However, that did not fix the rattle noise problem inside the vehicle.

So today I took some recordings and am creating this thread in hopes someone can assist me with diagnosing the problem.

Here are the recordings I took:
2016 Chevy Malibu Rattle Sound
(Part 2) 2016 Chevy Malibu Rattle Sound

These are the links to all the websites I visited trying to figure out what the heck is causing this sound:
DASH RATTLE 2016 Malibu
2016 malibu interior noise | Chevrolet Malibu Forums
2016 dash noise - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums
I have this rattling noise behind the dashboard - 2006 Chevrolet Malibu
2006 Malibu LT Dash Rattle.
2006 Chevrolet Malibu Rattle Noise In Dash: 16 Complaints

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
If I wanted to hear a rattle sound in my car, I'd get knocked up and have another baby.
I want to commend you for not only doing the research, but for sharing it in such an organized manner so that others may benefit. Great job!

I've had noises inside various cars over the years. I was "certain" that it was coming from a particular direction, but when it was finally corrected, it was elsewhere. Noises tend to travel and reflect.

The idea about the cowl cover being the cause of the noise seems plausible.

When your speed increases, there's more air pressure acting on the cowl cover. There may be a time when it deflects under the increased pressure, and the rebounds, only to repeat the process. If it does it at a frequency in the range of 100 to 2000 Hz, it stands a chance to be audible.

What could it hurt to put some sort of felt or rubber between the cover and the surfaces it touches, or find a way to more firmly press it into place, and then take it for a drive?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts