Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone tried swapping out their steering wheel without heat for one with? I’ve been wanting to swap it but I don’t have the extra cruise options on mine.. I know on the gen8 you could swap a camaro wheel to get heat but i haven’t seen anything about gen9.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,279 Posts
2016 Malibu Limited or 2016 "normal" Malibu?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,279 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info and the quick reply!

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,407 Posts
If you're asking about switching to a heated steering wheel from a higher trim level Malibu, it should be plug and play. If not, it would just need dealer programming to recognize the feature.

What extra cruise options are you referring to? Adaptive cruise control? That could possibly be an issue because your car lacks the sensors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I only have the stock cruise with no adaptive or lane keep. I’m going to the dealer tuesday to get the tail light bar leak checked and I plan on asking. Will post an update!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yea I only have the stock cruise with no adaptive or lane keep. I’m going to the dealer tuesday to get the tail light bar leak checked and I plan on asking. Will post an update!
Were you able to get an answer about the heated steering wheel? I would be interested in doing this in my car since the heated steering wheel wasn’t offered in the 2LT. I’m also bringing my car in for the the leaking third brake light. Was that fixed under warranty for you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Of course I forgot to ask but I did make progress because I found a steering wheel that was heated but didn’t have the extra cruise features on the chevy part store which gives me hope. As far as the tail light goes, I got the third bar replaced but it leaked into my headliner and effectively ruined it so I have to have that replaced which will take them 2 days. But it’s all covered so I can’t complain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This should be plug and play once you replace the wheel and clock spring. I have both new parts ready to install (my Hybrid wheel currently has leather/lane assist/forward collision but no heat) BUT I have damn near stripped the T50 torx that holds the wheel in place. So I am setting it aside until I can get to my dad's shop in a couple weekends.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This should be plug and play once you replace the wheel and clock spring. I have both new parts ready to install (my Hybrid wheel currently has leather/lane assist/forward collision but no heat) BUT I have damn near stripped the T50 torx that holds the wheel in place. So I am setting it aside until I can get to my dad's shop in a couple weekends.
We’re you able to get it installed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
We’re you able to get it installed?
I got the new wheel on after having to weld a nut onto the stripped bolt lol. However the heat function does not currently work. I did use the correct new clock spring and there is even already a fuse in the engine fusebox for the heated wheel but pressing the button does nothing.

Looking at part diagrams online there seems to be a module/harness that goes in the airbag area for regulating the heat and I'm guessing my used wheel doesn't have it and I'll have to order it. I didn't see any empty connections though but that's all I can think of. This part comes with a new wheel so mine should have had it already unless the person who sold the wheel removed it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
FWIW this is the exact same wheel and clock spring used on the newer Volts and Cruzes and this mod has always worked for those cars with nothing more than the new wheel and clock spring so I'm confident this is all I need to get it working.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got the new wheel on after having to weld a nut onto the stripped bolt lol. However the heat function does not currently work. I did use the correct new clock spring and there is even already a fuse in the engine fusebox for the heated wheel but pressing the button does nothing.

Looking at part diagrams online there seems to be a module/harness that goes in the airbag area for regulating the heat and I'm guessing my used wheel doesn't have it and I'll have to order it. I didn't see any empty connections though but that's all I can think of. This part comes with a new wheel so mine should have had it already unless the person who sold the wheel removed it.
Interesting. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I successfully added the heated steering wheel to my Gen9 (2016) this last weekend. You need the steering wheel (duh), the clockspring for use with the heated wheel, the left steering wheel switch (one has the adaptive cruise buttons, one does not). THEN, you need to run a NEW power wire (20ga TXL) preferably from the clockspring connector on the dash harness to the connector by the door. Then from that connector through the firewall into the fusebox to L8 on I dont recall which connector. You ALSO need to run a new ground wire from the clockspring connector to a good ground. I originally just ran the power, but when I pressed the button, the light would come on and go off after after around 1-2 seconds. Dammit! Needed to run a ground as well.

GM, as has been their habit since the late 90's, doesnt include wiring in a harness if the option doesnt exist. UGH!

Now I have a nice toasty steering wheel that you can use the factory 15A fuse to service/protect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I successfully added the heated steering wheel to my Gen9 (2016) this last weekend. You need the steering wheel (duh), the clockspring for use with the heated wheel, the left steering wheel switch (one has the adaptive cruise buttons, one does not). THEN, you need to run a NEW power wire (20ga TXL) preferably from the clockspring connector on the dash harness to the connector by the door. Then from that connector through the firewall into the fusebox to L8 on I dont recall which connector. You ALSO need to run a new ground wire from the clockspring connector to a good ground. I originally just ran the power, but when I pressed the button, the light would come on and go off after after around 1-2 seconds. Dammit! Needed to run a ground as well.

GM, as has been their habit since the late 90's, doesnt include wiring in a harness if the option doesnt exist. UGH!

Now I have a nice toasty steering wheel that you can use the factory 15A fuse to service/protect.
Congrats on getting this working! I am now hunting for a heated wheel and clockspring. Quick Question, when you remote start your Malibu, does the heated steering wheel come on with the seats or does this only work from factory?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Even from the factory, the steering wheel does not heat up with the seats or remote start. It's not connected to the GMLan at all...

You could probably rig up some type of latching relay setup where turning on the seat turns on wheel, but IMO, it would be somewhat difficult to do. The steering wheel has a stand alone controller in it, so it's not like you can wire it with the seat heater....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! I have just installed the heated steering wheel in my 2016 malibu as well. I bought the wheel and clockspring on a gm parts supplier website and they are plug n play. you just need to add 2 wires to the harness connecter with delphi connectors on the end. you can purchase these wires on their own as well from gm supplier websites. I spliced one wire to the black one in the harness connector for the clock spring and another wire spliced into the cigarette lighter purple wire (there are only 2 wires to the cig lighter). the clock spring for heated steering has 2 addition prongs in it which is why you need to do all this additional wiring. the cig lighter still works too although i wouldnt run the heated steering wheel and the lighter together for fear of blowing a fuse.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts